A nice 3 1/2 Litre MKV DHC

Hi,

For sale in Poland:

Although I think the front sits way too low, the torsion bars should be adjusted so the body sits straight, IMO.

And the interior looks very much like mine should once it gets restored, Pale Blue aka Light Blue aka Blue/Grey, but what is the paint colour supposedly? Birch Grey like mine.? In that case I would say it’s too blue.

And shouldn’t the A-pillar trim / furflex from the door trim up be grey headliner just like the piece on top of the windsreen and under the sun visors?

Still very nice, the chrome seems to be of very high quality. :+1:

Cheers!

PS. The front carpets are missing the heel pads and the gearbox dip stick cover is not correct. Otherwise looks like a really well done restoration.

1 Like

It does indeed look quite nice!

I think we’ve talked about that car in Poland before. It seems a pity that they went to so much trouble with the restoration and chose a non-standard color. Maybe they thought it was more saleable, but it’s been for sale for awhile.
You are right about the dipstick cover, it should be a rectangle.
We see a lot of cars with the front torsion bars cranked too low. Rear springs need to be arched correctly, which is not hard to do. I suppose these restorers just don’t know any better. The specs are in the manual, and basically in one sentence it’s the chassis should be parallel to the ground.
Quite a few Mark Vs for sale on that website. A project car in Spain and one in Lithuania that has a push button radio.

1 Like

Hi,

Yes, and another very similar one now in the US on e-bay, but surprisingly RHD.

But what’s this thing with the “original Birch Grey”? That one has been repainted in 2007 and the paint looks very similar to the one in Poland (but even more light blue than the Polish car). AFAIK the paint is far too bright and blue in tone, in comparison to what “Birch Grey” that was used in 1948-1952 is supposed to look.

And I am also a bit surprised they went through that much effort, but did not bother to remove the rust on the bottom of the floors, the insides of the front wings and even the chassis rails? Looks like it still could be saved, but something needs to be done rather quick before that rot will eat it’s way through something. :frowning_face:

Cheers!

Here is what I have for Birch Grey.
The RHD car in Missouri is 640107, obviously cosmetic only, not a body-off restoration.
They didn’t even bother to clean off the old road crud on the front suspension.
Lots of pictures if you scroll down.

1 Like

Here is the Jaguar colour chart for comparison, and the car to me looks more Pastal Blue Metal than Birch Grey (perhaps allowing for differences in computer screens and photo colour shifts).

That’s the color chart that TCP Global used to provide me with 2 gallons of Gunmetal, an excellent match BTW.
Pastel Blue was Metallic up to autumn '52, after which it was non-metallic as all the metallic colors were deleted at that time.

Here is a '51 car in Pastel Blue Metallic.

It always surprises me that the engine bays of so many cars have been neglected in ‘restorations’. I imagine that many of us are rather keen on the mechanical aspects of these cars and, with some effort, the engine bay can come up rather well, making all the difference.

1 Like