A very cool video

This guy really knows what he is doing…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--NVLYmNwhA

Aristides

very neat . well done

That was fun to watch. Drove home just how much work is involved. And the bad valve guide on the XJ12 engine was ahhh-MAZE-ing, how the heck did that happen?

My only objection is that he really never confirmed what caused the lack of oil pressure on the E-type engine. He noted that the gears in the oil pump had clearances out of spec, but they ALWAYS do, brand new oil pumps were never in spec on these engines. And even if it was worn you wouldn’t expect zero oil pressure, you’d expect low oil pressure. The main bearings were worn, but again that causes low oil pressure, not zero. There had to be a FAILURE in there somewhere, not just wear, but he never found that failure.

Ive seen my share of worn valve guides: that one takes the cake!!!

That can’t just be wear, can it? If it was wear, I’d expect all of them to be similar. Apparently this is the only one. And I dunno how it could have gotten that loose without the guide leaving the building. You don’t suppose somebody just left the guide out during assembly?

I was thinking the exact same thing…still would like to know the root cause for ZERO pressure.

Got me! It’s a mystery to me!

easy diagnosis , engine overheated Aluminum expanded and guide started moving up and down and stuck to valve , slowly wallowed out the head!

and damn tough V12 just kept on A- running !

good V12s dont care if they lose a cylinder , hardly noticeable to ordinary people !

Heck! i got a GM suburban V8 Diesel ,dumb owner in a hurry, overheated and blew a head gasket, that was 5 yrs ago, still runnin on 7 cylinders, gotta add water every so often(maybe more often).

why do you think most Military are Diesel vehicles !

ron