A visit to Beverley Hills Car Club

Any demand for easily removed sheet metal and other components that could be removed prior to junking them?

None, zero, zip: I tried, on a number of P6 websites.

The guys in Britain would LOVE to have the non-rusty panels, but the cost of shipping is too dear for the value of the cars, and only about twelve people–me, being one–give a rats patootie about them, in the USoA.

Undoubtedly, there will come a time when parts will be like gold: I’m no longer willing to sit and wait on that faraway day.

I thought the alloy V8s would be of interest to folks… but I was wrong.

over the last four years ive bought a 140SE and 69 2+2 from them.both for restoration.In both cases i knew exactly what i was getting and didnt get any nasty surprises.Also found them extremely good to deal with.The vehicles are AS IS WHERE IS and at no stage was anything else implied.In both cases price was discussed before a deal was done…If you are looking for a particular model get on their mailing list as the good ones tend to go pretty quick…I watched for 6 months to get the type of 140 i wanted in the condition i wanted(ie 2 years work to get it on the road) JOHN

From another P6 owner this is for you Paul -
Brooklands

1 Like

My takeaways from this thread:

1. “Seemed like an honest guy”
  2. $198,000 for a ratty flat floor.

Still chuckling.

I always thought the boot-mounted spare is…quaint.

One of my 3500s has a spare tire boot, that I toy with the ideer of installing on Margaret, just to hear how people comment!

About your picture: I doubt one could corral that many running P6s in my ENTIRE country.

He may be asking more than we think the car is worth, but is he honest in how he represents the car?
From what I’ve seen I think the answer is yes.

I wonder why he never quotes the Car Number or shows an ID Plate. Many other dealers do.

Beats me. I’d only be suspicious if he refuses to provide that information when asked.

Yeah, I guess John maybe he is (honest) & does rep the car accurately. And you can never raise your price from your initial opening. But isn’t that ($198) the fully restored price? I wonder if scares more people away?

I’ve revived this thread as I was there yesterday. In light of the virus thing, their “showrooms” – really just open warehouse spaces, are currently closed to the public but when this passes it will be well worth the visit for anyone in LA. My girlfriend and I went there previously and we easily spent somewhere between 2-3 hours wandering from warehouse to warehouse. We’d finally finish exploring one warehouse building only to find an opening in the wall leading to… yet another huge space with yet more cars. Our feet were aching a little from walking so much on concrete (need walking shoes). I still don’t think we saw everything. I agree on the OP’s rough count of cars and it being low pressure. We had to work to seek out a sales rep who wasn’t already quietly busy in a back office somewhere. Most of the staff are in their 30s/ 40s which was kind of nice as I like to see the younger ones who are as interested in these older cars like we are. They are also simply flippers. That is, they make no claims as to the cars condition/ driveability. They will simply give them a cleaning, a basic mechanical once-over and sell as-is, where-is. They do retain a mechanic well into his 70s who will start up and have you test drive a car if a sales rep can’t get it going though. We really enjoyed it. I’d have to sum it up as, if Tiffany’s is to women who like jewelry, then this place is the same for guys who are into old European sports cars. Hard to keep my mouth from drooling. Also, never in my years have I ever walked up to a scruffy Mercedes 300 SL roadster before along with 50s Porsche Speedsters, Isetta’s, Ferrari’s, Austin-Healeys and Alfa-Romeos so many crammed together. I’m something of a grumpy cynic at times so I realize that this is starting to read as a puff-piece, but, again, this place is worth it if only for a look-see. Finally, I didn’t ask, but I think the name Beverly Hills Car Club has to be a kind of tongue-in-cheek misnomer as the location is anything but Beverly Hills. It’s in a very quirky mostly industrial area of East Los Angeles full of mom-and-pop machine shops, foundries and factories on twisty turning streets and hillsides.

1 Like

Did you take any photos you can share?
Were you tempted by any cars?

Photos. Not really, the both of us left our iphones in the car and were feeling too lazy to hike back. However, the original poster did a pretty good job of taking pictures at the beginning of this thread and I think I see a few XKE’s that are still wanting for buyers.

As far as being tempted by cars: yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. My girlfriend had been shown pictures of the Austin-Healey 100-4’s in the past but was largely indifferent. However, after seeing about a half dozen there she was then gushing about how beautiful they were and how, “there’s just something about them that talk to me” – for what that’s worth. Also the bugeye Sprites for the cuteness factor.

As for myself, I was there to “just look” at one particular XK120 I’d seen sitting for months on the site with no takers. Plus, I already have one. A full blown project that started with, “Yeah, I’ll have it going in a few months”. Three years later, it’s still nowhere close to being on the road. So I was in no rush to consider a second. When we both saw it though, we looked at each other with an “uh-oh” and, “this looks disturbingly better than the pictures and description of it on their website”. Found a rep, extracted it from behind an Abarth coupe, started it up, drove it around the neighborhood, left saying I’d think on it and a week later put in an offer on which they accepted. The virus thing has since exploded in the news here and slowed things down a little, but I’m now scheduled to have it delivered tomorrow.

I never cared much for British Racing Green and black interiors but for reasons I can’t explain this car sent me over the moon. Here she is:

On a side note, during this last visit on the way out I saw this huge pile of old top or, “hoodsticks” frames and thought, “buried in their somewhere may be a frame for an XK120”: something my other car has been in need of since day one.

1 Like

I’m the opposite, except for the “over the moon” sentiment. My E-type is BRG/black, as it left the factory, and my 120 is in BRG and awaiting its black interior. Hard to describe the attraction of the combination, but “gravitas” fits.

1 Like

BCC always have Jag listings on ebay at all times and as you can imagine their web site has a ton of them. Also Gullwing Motors in Astoria, NY. Could only speculate as to where they get all these things but new ones appear all the time.
pauls

I’d never noticed that the difference in windshield height was this extreme til now. Gotta be a S3 2+2…?

Nope, but close, Series 2 2+2.
Cheers,
LLynn