AAV hose and gasket

So I need a new gasket and short elbow hose for my AAV. Sourcing the parts, it will take a week to get them, and they are expensive, $50 total with shipping!

The little elbow hose from AAV to intake, I assume a nice simple 1" heater hose will do fine here? or better yet, silicone?

And the gasket, since it’s just a coolant pressure gasket, I assume I could buy some gasket material and cut it out myself? Pretty simple shape.

Thanks

Yes, and yes. More words…!

I bought the gasket (two, in case I buggered one up) —Turned out they were not correct. So I like your idea of making your own.

But Lady Luck was with me after all — when I pulled the AAV the gasket came off easily and intact. I ended up re-using it with a light coat silicone sealant. Don’t remember but I think it was the black stuff - - hasn’t leaked in over a year.

I spent almost as much time scraping off the old gasket on the block than I did fixing the AAV! :slight_smile:

I bought a Fel-Pro gasket roll from O’Reilly’s (for thermostats, etc, it is blue) for $11 and easily cut out a gasket. I have tons leftover!
I also bought a 1" radiator hose with a 90 degree bend for $10 and cut that out to fit.

Everything works and is leak free.

2 Likes

Follow up, the 1" radiator hose with a 90 degree bend that I cut to fit for the connection from AAV to intake manifold, after three months it was collapsing at idle.

So I ended up replacing with OEM elbow. Much thicker rubber.

You could have simply installed a spring inside. You can easily make your own coil. To do the job right you can make the coil from hard stainless steel wire so it won’t corrode. The stuff they sell for making fishing leaders is good if you get the thickest stuff available.

why bother? $17 for correct hose. Done.