AAV removal ideas sought

After finally getting sick of constant 1100 rpm at traffic lights etc I, rightly or wrongly deduced something needed to be done about the AAV. Not having a lot of time to do the right thing (strip down, rebuild, replace etc) I instead simply removed it and soaked in WD40 overnight. However I ruined the short L-shaped hose upon removal and so now am planning to simply replace the unit without hoses, block the airbox spigot, block the manifold spigot and hope for the best.
Question 1: is this Ok as a temporary fix to get the car back on the road (it’s my daily driver)?
Question 2: How do I deal with the small distributor take-off hose and what does this do exactly?

I live in New Zealand and so we never have truly cold weather- I wouldn’t be concerned to just eliminate the whole apparatus altogether.

Thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated!!

That’s fine…but your idle speed will probably be too low.

I removed my AAV entirely and covered the hole with a metal plate. Removal of the AAAV (or the hoses) means losing the idle adjustment capability. For the time being I adjusted the idle at the throttle plates but I am working on a scheme to add an idle adjustment.

I attached a small nipple to the backside of the air filter housing for the distributor vent.

Cheers
DD

I gave up on mine years ago and unhooked the hose, jambed a rag in there and slipped the hose back on. this was temporary while I made a replacement but has been in there 8 years! point is it can be bypassed.

Why not go to an auto supply house and look for a radiator hose with the proper inside diameter that has a preformed 90 degree bend. You could cut the length of the ends to fit while saving the bend… Or look for the same on-line. SD Faircloth

Is EAC2655 the hose you need ? Google that part number. SD Faircloth

Hi Doug. Yes your’re right the idle is now too low but after putting up with the constant roaring idle for almost a year I’m happy to live with this new issue instead. Its actually now a pleasure to drift up to a stop and wonder whether the engine is still running as its so quiet. I need to learn a new technique for initial start up from cold but for a 33yo car I’m happy to put up with some little idiosyncrasies.

Thanks SD. This hose is definitely still available and I also saw a $20 Toyota one yesterday that I could modify perfectly. Thanks for your feedback. Not sure I really want to hook it all up again thou as the roaring idle was a real pain in the a…

Doesn’t the OEM hose have that junction at the corner where the distributor
vent system connects? Or are there versions without it?

Whatever, if you NEED the distributor vent connection, you’re gonna hafta
buy the Jag hose with the connection – or fashion a separate attachment
to the inboard side of the air filter housing.

There are some good reasons to do the latter, but obviously it does involve a
bit of fiddling to fit a hose connection to the air filter backing plate.

– Kirbert

The hose that broke was the now redundant one going from the manifold to the AAV unit. The dizzy breather takeoff is actually on the other hose which still survives and is back in place- albeit to a useless AAV unit. So all seems to be fine. Found a nice frost plug which snugly sealed the manifold outlet (with some heatproof sealant as well). I actually did a few trips in traffic today and was stationery at traffic lights at 350rpm!! but now I’ve adjusted the idle screws to get things nicely at 600 rpm and I think I’m all set! There’s just something impressive in an engine that refuses to stall at 350rpm and my ones got 140,000 miles on the clock!!

EAC2655 hose is available for about 13.50. The one Kirby mentions that has the distributor connection is about $50 – i think the part number is 8717 but I don’t remember if it was EAC or EBC

begone AAV, pic of my plate over the old hole in manifold, sensor is for a digital temp gage.

adjust the throttle plates for exceptable idle and be done with it. got no distributor vacuum also.

i always warm engine with pedal till things settle down, that alone gives me a close feel of the engine running!