Abandoned older XJS in Tehran

My cousin saw this back home and sent a picture since he knows I like them

1 Like

That looks like a UK registration plate under the Iranian one. Plates with an M suffix indicate a date of 1st registration between August 1st 1973 & July 31st 1974 - which AFAIK is pretty much not possible for an XJ-S.

I do not know anything about UK plates however the iranian plate is in fact a real old iranian plate.
are you suggesting that this a photoshop? if so why anybody would do that ?
what one would gain by doing it?

No easy way to know, but, sadly, we live in an Age of Falsification.

British?.. maybe not it’s LHD??

Those black painted infills on the inboard sides of the tail light lenses might make this a 1975-1977 year XJ-S. The infills went to painted silver/grey in 1978 and then just chrome in 1981.

Paul

:" CAR BOMB " :running_man::running_woman:

I had not even considered photoshop - like you say, no one has any reason to do that. It was just interesting as I don’t know of any other countries that have a similar registration plate format to the UK. I thought the XJ-S below was a very early car being registered between 1/8/74 & 31/7/75. I hadn’t seen that the car in your photo was LHD.

image1.png

I know nothing of Tehran, but I once saw a website showing abandoned exoticars all over some city in the Mideast – Dubai, I think. The story was that good Muslims weren’t supposed to show off with fancy cars, so when the authorities cracked down they’d just abandon them.

1 Like

a while back there was an XJ220 abandend on the side of a hiway in Dubai, half covered with sand from the wind!

i bet Bleasie dont have that one??

I think random XJS pics are cool. Thanks for sharing! Here is one I took in Paris in Dec. 2014. There is a blue convertible parked down by the water…
Hopefully this link works… If my link to flickr actually works the next pic in the series is a “close up…”

2 Likes

Plates with an M suffix indicate a date of 1st registration between August 1st 1973 & July 31st 1974 - which AFAIK is pretty much not possible for an XJ-S.

Possible if it was a personal reg number, in the UK a car can display a plate older, but not newer then registered.

True - I’d not thought about that but ‘private (vanity) plates’ in that era tended to be a combination of letters & numbers with no suffix.