About my odd steering

I had my mechanic do the alignment on my 1989 xj40 3.6, right front wheel bearing was loose but he snugged it up and alignment is spot on, now the odd steering is apparently caused by the rack and pinion bushings are worn and the unit slides from one side to the other about a1/2 inch, is it possible to replace just the bushings?how big is the job, and why is there no xj40 listings only xjs or xj6 on us auto parts stores? (Autozone, etc.)

Almost forgot , the rack bolted to the bottom with 4 bolts.

David …

Technically your 1989 Jaguar IS an XJ-6. “XJ40” was the code name assigned to the development of the new car model. So when shopping it’s very correct to ask for parts for a 1989 Jaguar XJ6.

You say that your power steering unit is “sliding” side to side about 1/2". How is that possible when it is bolted directly to the cross frame with no rubber bushings ?

actually it bolts on withe rubber bushings, as you can see there is a gap between the bush, and the hydraulics.

Just an idea, but how about cutting out a big Teflon “washer”, splitting one side of it and “springing” it over and into the gap. That’d take up the slop for sure.

1 Like