About the XJ category

For discussing the Series 1 - 3 Jaguar XJ6 and XJ12, from 1968 through 1992.

Use the following paragraphs for a longer description, or to establish category guidelines or rules:

• Why should people use this category? What is it for?

• How exactly is this different than the other categories we already have?

• What should topics in this category generally contain?

• Do we need this category? Can we merge with another category, or subcategory?

1 Like

Good evening, does anyone know what I should check when my jag 1986 xj6 shuts down and comes back on? The radio even has to be reset!

Bill,

I have encountered these kinds of strange electrical problems in both of my Series III XJ6s. In both cases replacing the ignition switch fixed it. This is the electrical switch that is connected to where you put the key into to start the car up. The Jaguar part number is DAC1607 and the Lucas part number is LU-35315. I just answered another poster who is also encountering problems, look up the thread called “Ignition with lock cylinder“ and search the archives for “ignition switch” and you will find many posts about strange electrical problems that were due to failing ignition switches. This is a common problem. In the case of my 1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas I believe it was due to the modifications made to the ignition switch wiring when aftermarket electronics were added to the car and caused the ignition switch to overheat. In the case of my 1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas it was just due to age and use.

Regards,

Paul M. Novak

1990 Series III V12 Vanden Plas

1990 XJ-S Classic Collection convertible

1987 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1984 XJ6 Vanden Plas

1969 E-Type FHC

1957 MK VIII Saloon

Ramona, CA USA

1 Like

Thank you so much. I just got the head done and its got 89k miles and runs good. going to order a switch today. Again thanks Paul

2 Likes