About to buy an E-type: weird issue with certificate and engine nr

Congratulations.

I suppose this means we’ll be seeing you around.

Welcome.

1 Like

Congratulations on your ‘new’ E-Type.

I’ve only had mine for 5 years but it is a delight every time I drive it (or just look its way).

Thanks guys.

I sold my SLR roadster, my Aston Martin is now also for sale.
Its by far the slowest car I have ever had but I think it will be something special.

See you guys around and again a million thanks!

I’m thinking it’s possible the plate was considered to be original and the data copied off of it and submitted for its Certificate.

Using “originally” is a softened way to say the engine currently in place is WRONG, along with the data plate being faked!

Im pretty sure thats the case.
Either way, its all sorted now.

Ill be updating the info on xkedata.com to ensure clarity for any future custodian of this fine automobile!

They may have stamped the plate with the current engine number for the MOT.

Here in Switzerland you’re in for a real headache if there is any variance between the numbers on the bits, the numbers on the plate, and the numbers on the paperwork (original MOT and tax import form). A few years ago I put a big Healey through the Swiss MOT. Some Healey bodies have an additional letter in the number stamped on the body to indicate where the body was made, but on this car the additional letter wasn’t on the id plate. The numbers were exactly the same, but the body had an “H” at the end. It took me about an hour to convince the MOT inspector that there was nothing suspicious going on.

What does one do in Switzerland if he swaps out an engine? Does it need to be reported to the authorities before the next MoT inspection?

You need to prove that the engine is identical to the original in the car, or the same as the maximum size offered on that model (but then you need to prove that your brakes are the same as the higher output model. You can get away with a 5% HP increase over stock.

In practice it’s not all that difficult - if you can show that the engine number is one which was fitted to that model then you’re ok. If you show up with a Vega which has a rat motor and happy gas injection then you’re going to have a problem.

Compared to what’s allowed in North America, very limiting. I’m sure the American car scene in particular would be up in arms if anyone tried to push something similar through to legislation.

There’s a guy who shows up at one of the local weekly gearhead gatherings in a (I think) '32 Chevy coupe with a Jag V12 fitted with 8 carburetors. I guess he’d have a hard time with your MoT bretheren, eh?

You can do it, you just have to take it to a special testing station which checks the engineering side (this gets expensive), but it is possible.

Saeed,

Some believe that non-matching numbers lower the value of the car. The only way this can happen is if buyers refuse to pay higher prices. You might use this all to your advantage in that you are the buyer. You could go back to the seller saying all that has been said above and point out there is a whiff of illegality (if you wish) and negotiate a lower price.

Looking at the adjacent cars on xkedata.com the “originally” number is near the others, while the current number is not. The “originally” on the Heritage Certificate does kind of indicate that Jaguar had something to do with the engine swap. But I’d say the inconsistency, unexplained by the seller, puts a question mark on the car.

If it were a Condition 3 car (excellent but not concours) I’d keep looking into buying it. At your distance, how can you check the condition? There is a long, sad history of very bad cars made nice looking and sold to unsuspecting buyers. Watch out!

BTW, if you don’t mind, how much are they asking?

Jerry

Hi.

Just to repeat: I dont think they did anything on purpose in terms of hiding or mispresenting the state of the car. It was more miscommunication from both ends. They provided the certificate themselves upfront and they also showed the report where it was stated that it was non-matching however the wording wasnt clear to me. So long story short: I dont THINK im being hussled (that said, you never know haha).

In the price is included a complete overhaul of the gearbox.
Im not familiar with the terminology of the state of the car in numerical values (1, 2 or 3).
But I would say its a used car with a good respray a while ago and very nice interior.
The colors are not original, but the rest of the car is (excl the engine ofcourse).

The price im going to pay is sub 100k euros including new tires, gearbox overhaul and 6 months warranty on engine and gearbox. Optionally, I can choose to get a 5 speed transmission implemented and get the original gearbox as well but then not overhauled.

Just trying to read up on which 5 speed transmission to select, as I heard the Getrag isnt all that great so looking at this from etypeFAB https://www.etypefabs.com/blank or this one http://eliteracingtransmissions.com/categories/inline-gearboxes-sub-menu/jag-t5/

Any suggestions?

The dealer said that they will get a new box delivered from this guy (pun intended): http://www.guybroad.co.uk/home.html

anyone familiar with this 5 speed transmission boxes?

Explained here:

(you may have to set up a free account to read it, probably not) Hagerty valuations are questionable for some things but I don’t believe a better source has been identified, and they certainly have need for valuations in their business.

If the rear interior is still as in xkedata, it’s not Condition 3, closer to 2+ if everything else is excellent. There is a padded cantrail missing and the vinyl is very sloppily attached.

Sounds like you have a deal, though.

Jerry

Hi

Yeah youre right. Its mostly 2+ in the taxation report that I received.
Im getting the 5 speed installed from Guy Broad (called broadsport 5 speed), so should be done just in time for me to take it to Goodwood. Couldnt think of a better maiden voyage :slight_smile:

Hi,

So it should be there with Dutch plates then? The old style? (Black with white digits, like XX-00-XX?)

I hope to see it and possibly you too, although there will be 100.000 people and thousands of cars in the classic car parking area!

Cheers,

Pekka T.
Fin.

Hi Pekka

I think it wont be in the old style, but im going to have a replica old style (illegal hehe) plate made. The yellow ones are so hideous.

Hope to see you there!

I will be at Goodwood too from the USA. We usually spend at least couple of hours on Friday mid-day walking the classic car lot. Last year was a pretty good concentration of E’s on the first few rows. Hope to see you all there

David
68 E-type FHC

Hi,

Great, hope to see you and you and a few others there! :smiley:

I guess we are somewhat lucky then, we can get black plates for any roadworthy car, if it’s pre 1974. It used to be only for historic vehicles with a SAHK (our ASI / FIVA) certificate. But vanity plates here now cost €900,- and they go with the car, not the owner. I used to have JAG-66 and now have JAG-50 and JAG-72. :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Pekka T.
Fin.

I have been wanting to go to Goodwood for years. Living in the US makes it a bit of a hike and somewhat pricey. However if I can tie it with a narrow boat rental and call it vacation I might get a buy in from the SWMBO.

Pekarek, when is Goodwood next year ?

Cheers … Ole