Abs control to bulkhead gasket

I am trying to find the gasket that fits between the ABS system and the bulkhead on my 1990 XJS V12. Cant find a part number anywhere.

Thanks for any and all help.
0F765B6D-CF8C-4BE5-92F7-4555EAADA70F

Just use 3m strip caulk. That’s what I do. Better than a gasket here imho. Did it originally 24 months ago when I was installing the new pedal box and getting rid of abs. Power booster failed so I just had to remove again. Sealed just fine.

Thanks Bob, very good idea of yours to solve the gasket problem.
The power booster is a nightmare, I really would like to toss it out and replace it with a conventional system. Do you have notes on how you did yours. Would be most obliged if you could enlighten me on what is involved.

Roger

Here you go!
I’d suggest finding a 88 or earlier pedal box and using all factory parts. Easy. My approach required a bit of machine work, which all worked out great, but depending on your resources might not be doable.
Also, my aftermarket power booster failed after just 24 months which really annoys me. I just finished installed a more expensive booster, hoping it lasts longer.

Let me know what questions you have, this is one of those areas that I became an “expert” on through no desire of my own :slight_smile:

EDIT: This thread contains a lot of stuff you won’t care about if you just want to replace your Teves III pedal box with a vac unit. You just need to:

1. Get an 88 or earlier pedal box, with a brake pedal. ABS and non-ABS pedals are different.
  2. Get a vac booster and master cylinder from one of the usual suspects. Rock Auto, Moss, whoever.
  3. Track down the plastic elbows for the brake MC. I overpaid on eBay. Good luck, they are out there but hard to find. Some comments in the thread about this.
  4. Bolt everything in. Details in the thread about the vac line to the right intake manifold.
  5. Do the plumbing. This is the biggest PITA but the details and PNs are in the thread.

Roger,
According to page 1N 09 of the Jaguar XJ-S Parts Catalogue (RTC9900CA) the part number is C44896 but looking online that part number was superseded by CC4547. It appears that Welsh Enterprises in Ohio can get them for you for about $6 US, but I would check with them to be sure since other suppliers (Moss, SNG Barratt, Terry’s) appear to be out of stock.

Paul

Thanks Paul
I have decided to make one myself as suggested by Bob. Also considering getting rid of the power booster again on Bob’s advice.

Roger

Thanks Bob
In my case the conversion may be easier as I want to stay with the automatic transmission and anti lock is not required. I was about to pull the trigger on a “rebuilt” master cylinder/ booster assembly at a eye watering $2000. This would be a bit more congest-able if I could be assured that it would work perfectly and reliably. Was your unreliable aftermarket unit related.?
The two thousand could well go to your conversion and thus get the horrid booster tossed into the junk bin.
Roger

Correct. Mine was complicated because I mated an anti-lock pedal housing to a conventional vacuum booster. Because the antilock pedal housing had the clutch pedal that I required.

No offense but there is no way I would consider that. Nor would I judge you if you did it, just acknowledging that that is a ton of money. Plus I am not convinced that the remam market really knows what it is doing here. My opinion only.

Agreed.

Yes, but to be clear it had nothing to do with a rebuilt Teves anti-lock unit. My aftermarket failure was the vacuum booster, which on my car must be aftermarket due to clearance issues caused by mating an anti-lock pedal box to a conventional vacuum booster. Get a pre-88 pedal box and use Jaguar parts.

Good plan. If you are doing your own work you can do the conversion in 2-3 easy days and for probably about $600 in parts, worst case.

Then you can remove this wiring harness from your engine compartment :slight_smile:

Me again Bob, you have me all excited re converting to a conventional system. I have located a vacuum booster and master cylinder combo.
Have a look at fleeebay 403934224889. Would the brake casting and peddle fit the bulkhead as is.
Do you have by any chance a list of part numbers for the conversion??
Sorry to be such a pest.

Roger

Hi Roger, I don’t get any eBay listings when I
search on that number? Can you post a link?
The three major components you need are the pedal housing and pedal from an LHD 88 or earlier XJS, the vacuum booster, and the master cylinder. The big cast piece, the pedal housing, will fit the bulkhead in your car fine. It will also be the most difficult part to find, although certainly not impossible.

I don’t have my parts book in front of me, but I will look up the part numbers later.

Bob, just sent you a copy of the listing, no idea if you will receive it.

Here is a photo

Roger

Roger, that all looks to be correct. Personally I would use a new vac booster and a new master cylinder.

PS- if you don’t have a parts manual, get one. The drawings of how all this fits together, will be very useful and save a lot of guessing.

But I would still require the brake peddle casting which is made of unobtainable. I would of corse replace all the m/c seals.

Roger

Yes. What makes that combo nice is that it has the casting and pedal plus some other hard to find bits like the reservoir bracket, reservoir to mc tubes, and plastic elbows that go in the top of the mc. You might be able to reuse the reservoir as well, if it cleans up.

Major parts:

CAC3891 Pedal housing
CAC3897 Brake pedal LHD
CAC1227 Servo unit aka vac booster
CAC1583 Master cylinder brake LHD
AAU6839 Kit Service Brake Master Cylinder (rebuild kit)

One thing you’ll probably need to sort is the brake light switch. You can see it if you look down through the hole in the bulkhead. Pretty sure it’s different between the abs and vac setup. Should be a simple fabrication to resolve.