ABS Conversion iso details and step by step if out there

Working on the nicest 94 this guy will ever own but The times come to retro fit the early model vacuum system and ditch the teves abs. I’m wondering if anyone out there has links or resources to a detailed step by step, parts list or even war stories to help this cat on life number 4 :pray:t3:

:hushed: Wow, going backwards to a conventional brake setup, what’s up with that? I believe that’ll require installing an earlier pedal box that will utilize a brake booster. Probably gonna have to change all of the hard brake lines too.

Absolutely, I’m pretty up to speed on the pre 88 pedal box etc and the lines are probably optional but wise no doubt. Just hoping I can get details from someone whose been through the trenches and successfully made it out on the other side

Is your car a Teves III or Teves IV?

IV system is pretty much shot. Pump accumulator etc

Teves IV already has vacuum booster; should be replace master cylinder with a non-ABS, copy the earlier brake line plumbing, and ditch the pump/accumulator/valve block and controller. You will also need a brake fluid reservoir…can upgrade this per Kirby’s excellent reference.

Now if Teves III, you need a pedal box and pedal, along with a vacuum booster.

Excellent information. I’m wondering who has the best option for the brake lines

You can try Inline Tube in Clinton Twp, MI. They do some classics, mostly American muscle cars. I don’t think it would be hard to do yourself, just pay attention to bubble vs. inverted flares, and Metric vs. SAE.

I suggest finding a pre- ABS car to study; maybe a forum member or at a car show.

My ‘88 is non-ABS; separate lines to each front and a single line to rear which I think is the same as Teves IV- if there are 2 lines going to each rear caliper you will need a tee to connect them together. There is no proportioning valve, just a pressure differential warning assembly- find one used. Try Everyday XJ.com

1 Like

He has a Teves III. The IV wasn’t issued until the 1995.25 model year. I’ve never heard of a 94 with a Teves IV brake system.

I thought so, but he said Teves IV

I’m pretty sure the IV has neither a pump nor an accumulator, so I bowed out at that point.

1 Like

It definitely has a bad pump and bad accumulation ball my apologies if I stated the wrong teves series either way it’s all coming out. I’ve purchased a pedal box and will continue to work my way back just looking for success stories

Teves IV has a pump, no accumulator and has a conventional vacuum booster.

Then it’s definitely the preceding model. I’m feeling like I’ll have to replace everything from the pedal back

Yes you will, but look at a non-ABS car to figure out brake lines. And you still will need the PDWA or a tee…

You are correct because they are two completely different systems. I ran into a similar problem of sorts trying to convert my XJ81 to a 5 speed. Although, in your case like I mentioned earlier the hard brake lines will probably need a full redo unless you can find a way to retrofit something to something to mate up to the master cylinder. The booster is going to need a vacuum source as well. Because you’ll be using the older pedal box I believe the accelerator pedal hookup is different as well.
I dunno, but I think that you are probably gonna be the first one on this list to retrofit an older brake system into a newer car.

I think it’s worth a shot, the system is flawed parts are limited and what’s available is used at best. If someone truly has a better solution to repair the existing system without that gremlin I’m all ears but it seems like the only fool proof solution unless I’m missing something

I dunno what you mean by that. You’ll definitely need to replace the pedal box, master cylinder, reservoir & hoses to connect to master cylinder, and add a vacuum booster. The existing lines were designed to go to the ABS master cylinder so you will either need to bend them or replace them to connect to the non-ABS master cylinder. There’s really no reason to replace anything beyond that. You could install a differential pressure switch and distribution block like the earlier cars had, but you don’t have to. All the calipers need not be touched. You can abandon the wheel sensors in place.

I am noticing a lot of Teves owners going back to pre ABS lately, there are a few posts now over the last several months. Is this about the time the Teves gives up the ghost? 30 years?

I know the facelifts are more desirable and fetch more money, especially the convertibles. I wonder if this will change as the Teves time bomb ticks louder?

Still holding out with my Lucas pre-ABS model coupe! :wink:

1 Like

I’m definitely going non conventional but this is one I’d like to keep well past my wrenching abilities so I just feel like it’s worth the effort given the fact it’s already shot. Obviously the parts list has a price tag but so does the used teves parts. Atleast this way I know it’s done and over with. Facelifts are getting over 10k in some cases around TN but This car almost hit the scrap yard because of the brake issues previous owner just couldn’t handle the price tag to have a shop repair it but this doesn’t seem like mission impossible.