Abs issues / Fuse 5

A few days ago i got an ABS warning light after driving for a few minutes.
(abs doesnt work, i got the tires to lock up on a test brake)

When i stop and turn the car off and back on it took a few meters before the ABS light turns on again.

Now, I tried diagnosing the abs with that diagnostic. Apparently you have to short ground and a purple/brown wire in the left side trunk (behind carpet, see image of the connector.)

Well, i did that and got a spark when shorting those wires…

I made it worse and somewhat ruined my day. I now get a Fuse 5 error code next to the abs light…

In my manual, fuse 5 refers to “Check ABS ESG main relay”

I havent found any info on where to find thise relay/fuse. If anyone could help me, I’d appreciate it a lot.

(i got a 1990 daimler 4.0)

Cheers

Update: I found the ABS relay under the driver side footwell. (it is yellow-ish and 4 pin)
I took it out and tested it with a multimeter following this tutorial:

(1) How to Test a 3, 4 or 5 Pin Relay - With or Without a Diagram - YouTube

It clicked, and ALL resistances were in spec.

Could it still be broken somehow? Or am i checking the wrong fuse/relay? I checked the yellow one in this picture. The haynes manual indicated that there should be 4 relays, maybe that black ting on the left is the missing relay which is broken?

I don’t have wiring diagrams specific to the 1990 MY but the 1993 MY electrical guide shows this:

The wire color codes are:

Note that the error message you received refers to the ABS main relay.

hmm… seems like the previous owner did something weird to the main abs relay? could it be the weird black contraption on the left side of my blue/green relay? tomorrow I will definitely inspect that black connector…

thanks for your input

On the left side, in tje driver footwell, there are 2 fuses (5&6). They are just above the inertia switch.

Left side huh? So no broken relay?

Gotta google how that inertia switch looks like…

On the left of your left foot.

From the Haynes manual. Note that passenger side in this case refers to the left side.

okay cool I will check for any fuses above this thing.

I assume I shorted the wrong wires for ABS diagnosing?
does anyone know how the abs diagnosing plug looks like?

Brown, left side in the trunk around the abs module. Bit first solve the fuse thing.

I found the damn fuse! First i found nothing above the inertia switch which drove me nuts. But then i took off the main fuse switch shroud and found the damn fuse 5/6 tucked and ziptied behind many other wires.

Tomorrow i can replace the fuse with a new one and then diagnose the ABS problem once again.

Thank you all for your help!!!

at least i learnt something new about relays and more about my xj40 :')

so the connector i had in my hands was indeed the correct one? I dont get why i killed my fuse then.
Did i bridge the wrong wires or did i do something else wrong? (to activate the ABS diagnosing blinking)

These links to info in the archives may be helpful:

[xj40] PM4 Diagnostic Connector 1993 XJ40 - #2 by Bryan_N?

https://www.jag-lovers.org/ebooks/view.php?Vbook=xj40&Vsection=7.4

1 Like

after replacing the fuse the abs light vanished

Did a big test drive today and it didnt come up again Hope it stays that way…

No warning light is good. Is the ABS working?

honestly i dont think so… I also did some test brakes now and normaly the car shakes when abs is working, but it just produced some tire screeching and some black marks could be seen on the asphalt… (no shaking)

Maybe its normal that some tiremarks remain even when ABS is working? But I’ll test some more tomorrow on an empty road