AC Evaporator Assembly Repair

Hi Everyone,
I have been upgrading/repairing the AC on my ‘68 S1.5, 2+2 using Russ Hulting’s post and subsequent discussion as a guide. Having replaced the compressor, condenser, and dryer, I’m now tackling the evaporator assembly. I have it removed, taken apart, and have attended to the directional vents. The casing is in fairly good condition, though I will have to fill in some cracks on the bottom.

I have a few questions. Can someone explain to me how to flush the evaporator core? I do have the AC flush solvent but am unsure how to proceed. Of course I am replacing the evaporator valve.

My other question is the goop. What is this sealant that appears to be everywhere and has the texture of stiff PlayDough?

Thanks,
Skip

It’s a butyl sealing compound. Non-hardening string caulk is the right stuff. Search “butyl rope”. Buy at your hardware store.

Got it. And thanks, Bill.

Skip

Hi Skip

I simply poured the A.C. solvent into the evaporator core and turned the core to get the fluid thru the tubes. I left the fluid in overnite, then poured it out. I did this a second time also the next day. Then using low air pressure I forced the fluid out. Don’t know if this was the proper way, but it seemed to work. I haven’t had any problems with the system since my installation.

Not sure if I posted this in the past, but here is another idea you may want to consider. The design of the system directs most of the cool air to the passenger side. I added a vent to the driver side with fabricated sheet metal and a computer fan. The fan is powered by splicing into the wire to the A/C fan, so therefore it also has 3 speeds.
Here is a picture.

Russ Hulting
1970 E type

2 Likes

Thanks, Russ. I wondered if I needed to buy a flush gun kit or could get by with your approach. I think I’ll go with your method.

Unfortunately, I hit a major snag. As I was trying to get the hose nut off with some help from a heat gun, I twisted the brass? nut that I was holding it with and tore a hole in the exit tube (if that makes sense). I don’t know if it can be patched or not. I feel a bit foolish and I doubt if I will be able to find another evaporator core if it can’t be repaired. Maybe I can post a pic later for advice. And I still haven’t gotten that nut off!

Nice work on that extra vent construction.

Skip

Here’s a pic.

Pretty sad!

Skip

I wouldn’t automatically give up on it. Take it to a shop that does both radiators and ac components, they do exist, and see what they can do.

Will do, John. An internet search turned up one in York, PA, just over an hour away from me. They also work on “antique” cars - sounds promising.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Skip

1 Like

Good news! The shop where I took my a/c evaporator core was able to repair the tear I made in the pipe. They pressure tested it to 165 psi, so things are looking much better.

It will be awhile before I can get back to work on it (traveling), but at least now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks all.

Skip (´68 2+2)

2 Likes

Well, that’s good news. A good shop with talented technicians can perform miracles.

Indeed, John. Wayne was able to cut the broken tube apart, and silver blaze in a new piece of brass tube, then connect and silver blaze everything together. The shop was CR Smith Radiator and Auto Repair in York, PA (Hopefully this doesn’t violate any posting policy.)

I am a happy camper at this point.

Skip

1 Like

While you are in there you might also want to replace the expansion valve. Don’t believe you will find a replacement from the usual Jag suppliers. I think cross-reference will not work, I found one at one of the large online A/C suppliers. Find one that looks the same and same size fittings. I don’t recall the supplier.
Glenn

Hi Skip and congratulations on the evaporator repair. I’m doing exactly the same thing as you at the moment and installing a factory AC system in my 69 Coupe. Like you I’m using Russ Holting’s excellent thread from the past. I have my evaporator apart and have just tested and flushed it. I’ll be installing a new expansion valve next which I got from Nolstagic Air and it looks very similar to the one I removed.
The only parts I’ll be using from the original system are the evaporator and alternator bracket. I’ve bought all the fittings and hose from NA and of course I’m using O ring fittings.

Andy

Yes, Glenn - already purchased. Andy, please take pictures and keep me posted. I did buy all of the parts from Nostalgia Air that were listed by Russ. It sounds like we’re at similar stages of ¨renewal.¨ I did have to remove the evaporator core from the the bottom casing, which you might not have had to do, which involved drilling out rivets. I am looking forward to start putting things back together, which will have to wait until January.

BTW, I think that I will be routing the front hoses differently from what Russ appears to have done based on the photos, Specifying, I plan to follow the original routing for the hose from the compressor to condenser which on my car had the hose exiting the compressor at the rear then bending down before heading towards the condenser. But it could be that our new compressors are mounted at a somewhat different angle.

I guess I am getting a bit ahead of myself.

Good luck with yours.

Skip