Accelerator pedal jams

Hi. My accelerator pedal jams to the floor on occasions. After shutting down and lifting the bonnet I note that the cable is pulled tight and the TPS is full on but under the dash the cable is loose. After a wiggle of the TPS it all comes good until next time. I guess it is a frayed cable causing the problem. I’m told that they have stopped making these cables for the XJS so I’m after any suggestions for a replacement.
Thanks in advance.

I had to replace mine, as the plastic or nylon casing around the cable actually melted (I accidentally touched a 12V positive wire to it, which grounded it…oops)

Yes, there are no new ones, and I even sent it to a throttle cable place, and they couldn’t fix it.

Only way is to buy it used. I found one here on the Forum in Sales.

Not too hard to install, it bolts to firewall from engine compartment, and you have to thread the cable down to accelerator pedal. Throttle side is piece of cake.

I am thinking that I could use a new internal cable and fix new ends on it. I have done this on a motorbike break cable with success. I might cut the end off at the pedal and pull it through and see however if a throttle cable place couldn’t fix yours then maybe it’s not doable.

IF the cable moves freely, then yes, you probably can. The throttle place couldn’t fix mine because the outer sheath was damaged. This was causing the throttle cable to not release.

I’m not quite clear on this.

If the cable is loose under the dash then what’s holding the pedal to the floor?

Anyhow…

Personally…

Before going much further I would disconnect the cable at both ends and then move it to and fro. If it’s smooth as a baby’s bottom then you have a problem elsewhere. If it feels rough or binds then you’ve hit paydirt and confirmed it’s the cable

Cheers
DD

I guess the pedal is being lifted by the cable and not by the spring on the pedal as it should. another thing to look at. Thanks

You can get both the sheath and the internal cable from any bicycle shop.

There was a RECALL for the XJ12 (R469 issued in 1999) because the deteriorating bonnet liner was ‘sagging’ onto the throttle linkage and was considered a SAFETY HAZARD.

76-128Am RECALL R469 Hood Liner.pdf (70.2 KB)

You might inspect the liner for deterioration and interference with the linkage?

Might affect ALL V12 linkage of cars of this age?