Accelerator pedal overshooting the bracket

On a 66 MK2 I am having the accelerator peal overshoot the metal bracket from the firewall. This results in the pedal going under the bracket. I have attached two videos showing the problem.

Does the metal tang on the back of the pedal look bent and should I straighten it?

Should the wooden knurled knob on the bracket be perfectly round and this is causing a problem?

This only happens on full throttle and then you have the potential for a problem.

I have been driving without the pedal for almost two years during my recovery from knee surgery and now I am able to get to this to make it correct.

I could see welding a one inch extension to the pedal to prevent this, but that seems very extreme.

Gerard
Loveland, COlorado

Gerard,
You may have found your problem. The bracket on the pedal should be straight. See mine: http://valvechatter.us/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bracket-Assembly-Mounting-Accelerator-Pedal-to-Floor.jpg

Lin

I watched this and also re watched a video you sent me awhile back showing the movement of the pedal mechanism. This is going to be a bear to bend back into shape in the vcie as it is mostly a one piece bracket that will not lend itself easily to being held in a vice. One huge question comes to mind and that is how in the hell did this get so bent?

I also realize that I am missing one of the foam pads which I will have to construct. Should these be oiled for lubication of the rotating shaft?

Gerard

Here’s mine, it is bent to the right just like yours. It is actually welded at an angle.
The other pic shows the wear pattern at the top.

Kenny

Checked the parts manual, there is 4 different pedals available according to auto or manual and chassis number, so we could all be looking at different parts.

Isn’t this perplexing! After looking at the three pedals, I conclude that there is some bend in the bracket. Rather, it appears to be at an angle. Gerard, it is really hard to tell from these photos but your pedal bracket doesn’t “appear” to have a straight angle bend, but you will have to check that out to see. Sorry to not be more helpful.
Lin

I’m not clear on how an angular bend at the pivot will greatly affect what I think @The_Jag_Man describes. As I understand it his pedal is too short, and slips under the crossrod end.

A bent pivot would cause the pedal to slide off to the side of the crossrod end.

Which problem is it that you have Gerard?

If the former, and your pedal itself is the correct length (does the rubber fit correctly?), then perhaps someone repaired the floor and put the mounting point too far back.

The rubber fits correctly. The car was out of my hands for over a year when I had a major mechanical rebuild done and I see no evidence of a re-welding of the floor brackets as you can see in the video I took the floor down to bare metal for a thorough cleaning and the bolts fit exactly. Also that soundproofing works like magic.

Can the bolts be loosened and the bracket moved backwards?

It seems possible that the pivot could be bent with the removal of the engine . Although the throttle actuates very smoothly. Hit 100yesterday just to check the throttle.

It is as though the pedal is about an inch too short and slips right off of the pivot bar and leftward at full throttle mash. My wife said not to drive so hard and I said WHAAAT!!

Here are some still shots and I understand the weld is at an angle, but if you look you’ll notice that there is an actual bend to the bracket separate from the attachment point onto the pedal metal itself.

Also should I lightly il the felt??

Gerard

If you look at the tilt of the pedal once installed I believe the bend would cause it to slide off to the left??

On your pivot shafts, is the ball perfectly round like a bead or worn a bit flat on one side??

Oil the felt is what I meant to write.

Gerard

Gerard, on my car the ball is round. No flats.
Lin

I have had problems with the pedal mechanism overshooting the pivot rod coming from the transmission tunnel. After through investigation it might be that there is some way to restrict the full travel of the throttle. I see the adjuster screw on the side but it does dot limit traval of the pedal or does it? Could there have been a “bump stop” rubber on the firewall behind the pedal to stop travel.

If I apply full throttle the pedal jumps over the pivot rod.I could bolt a rubber bump stop in but…you know how things sometimes don’t work out!!

Gerard