ACE translucent number plate

Is there a place in the UK where I can check to which vehicle or owner a number plate can be matched. When I bought my MK V, it came with two different number plates.

Hi Geri,

I’m no expert, but on the UK DMV web site you can make basic searches for free.

My MKV was UK registered, so a sesrch still shows it as a Jaguar in Maroon.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/?_ga=2.4850739.1089104626.1672510351-1960164468.1672510351

My reg was 660 XUG.

Cheers! Grüzi!

Terry I would love to get some further info and history on your 1936 ie rego number [BD127] chassis number etc
regards terry Australia tmcgrath@bigpond.com

Hi there

Will put some stuff and info together today and get it off to you.
I suspect this car is the only unrestored SS 1.5 left…and unusual in having all its original bits.
Regards
Terry

1 Like

Hello Pekka
Thank you very much for your link. As soon as I am back in my “workshop” I will take a photo of each of the two signs. I hope it will work.
Greetings
Geri

1 Like

I bought my Mark IV with US license plates KXE 197. Does anyone know how to check the American history of this car?

That’s a British plate, not American.
KX is Buckinghamshire.
E is January-July 1967.

1 Like

Hi,

That’s a 1950’s style UK plate, the E suffix fir 1967 would be in a seven digit, not six digit registration. Like ABC123E.

Cheers!

Ok so it’s the XE that indicates London, and the K is a sequential prefix letter issued sometime between 1932 and 1953, after JXE999, I think?

1 Like

Hi Rob,

No I think you are right about the KX, I am not familiar with the old system, only the post-1963 suffix for reg. year starting from A and IIRC 1975 was P, 1976 was R, 1977 was S.

I am sure someone from the UK will know also this older six digit system.

Cheers!

Car registration letter codes 1900-1972 (oldclassiccar.co.uk)

In the 1960s the three letter and three number scheme was added to with a suffix letter. For example DTN845B was a Newcastle registered car and the B tells you the year was 1964. When they ran out of suffices They swapped things around so for example F974SRU: The F prefix was an 1988/89 car registered in Bournemouth

Car Number plates explained (jct600.co.uk)

1 Like

Thank you Gents,
This could mean that the car I bought in the US also has some British history.

If anyone happens to have an individual number ‘1’ similar to the 3, 4, and E, I could really use this. I have tried Luxury Junkyard, NC, USA, and they happened to be out of the ‘1’, but they were able to send me a number of other characters I was looking for. I really recommend David Rogers and his site if you need some parts for an Ace Prismatic license plate.

Hoping for some help.
I have these translucent license plate digits. They don’t look exactly like the other ACE ones pictured on this post, but I am struggling to find any more info on them.
This forum was the only place I could find on the whole of the internet discussing ACE prismatic license plate digits!
Does anyone know exactly what I have here?
The white digits are only 3.5” / 90mm high.
The black frames are 110mm high x 85mm wide.
So I think they are for a car.
They were all originally in a black metal frame, but this absolutely disintegrated to the touch. I tried googling and dvla checking the registration, but it didn’t bring up anything.
I was wondering if any other company made these apart from ACE.
Any help gratefully received.
They are available to buy, if anyone is interested.
I am in the UK.
Thanks.

I’m not sure how large these digits are from the photos in relation to the ACE digits used on the Jaguar Cars, as on the cars they were individually shaped digits and not on a square block backing. Yours might have links to the bus or tram sector for displaying a route number, coach number, or destination as they seem larger. These individual digits also look like they might slot into the frame you had (so may be inter-changeable when required), and as some look to have burn marks through the central backs of them then individual lamps might have been behind each digit (not a usual set up on car registration plate). South Yorkshire Transport Museum in the UK might be able to help.

Welcome Jemma.
Yes, there was at least one other company making them.
The front registration plate on my 1938 SS Jaguar is marked EUS 5060 HILLS LONDON WC1, and was presumably made by Hills.

But whether they made translucent numbers, I do not know.

Just a related question.

In the back of the light panel there are short studs and long studs with brass tube nuts which hold trimmers on to retain the window. The four outer ones are longer and I assume these are to hold the number plate panel back from the window so that the light from the side tail lamp bulbs can illuminate the registration number.

Does anyone have the details for the set up and features associated with the longer panel studs and the parts involved?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

That doesn’t sound like mine.

We perhaps need a picture.