Ace wheel discs mk4

iam considering purchase of aset of ace wheel discs for my my mk4 would like to know what people think iam told they require constant attention but i like the looks peter

Peter I have only had one car with ACE disc and it was not a problem and certainly easier to keep clean than the wires. The only issue I know of is making sure you have the proper clips to hold them on. Best of luck.

It’s curious that when wire wheels were standard it was felt an improvement to cover them , and then a few decades later when disc wheels were standard they sold imitation wire wheel trims to cover them.
i don’t know that they were a problem t maintain although checking tyre pressures was dependent on the internal tubes working , The company who now makes repro sell a flexible tube if needed.
The repros are a simplified version , in detailed appearance. One would nee dto make sure the purchased set were compatible there were many different wheel sizes and offsets.
There are also different rim levels . Some had removable separate chrome rings , some just pressed in ridges.
And for the gee whiz factor some were polished aluminium.

They are al;ot of work to fit . tape on the rims , , the inner and outer held together by short spokes. There is a very fine thread on the centre casting which can be a trick to repair if damaged . WE had to make a jig to hold it and make sure the platers don;t get too much chroem in the threads.
The first MK IV I had came with them but I removed them.
Attached pic of a 1940 model with them fitted to give you an idea what to expect.

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think they really look the part!

But like Ed and George write they can be a bit challenging to fit, and there are some differences in the looks (how much polished aluminium or chrome) but if I had an SS Jaguar or MKIV I’d also try to get them. A bit like the hardtop I got for the V12 E-type: looks great, but not that practical, has to be unmounted to get the soft top up so it does not shrink or the plastic window does not develop creases and folds, and when driven hard, it does move enough to create scuffs on the paint where it meets the body. :frowning:

But as they say, beauty knows no pain.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 647194 (wheels and hubcaps being refurbished)
Fin.

They can look classy and change the appearance of a Mark IV, but as Ed says are a pain to fit. One solution is to have two sets of wheels, one with the Ace wheel discs and simply swap the wheels when you want the car to have a different “look”.

As some of you may know, repro Ace discs are available from Lmarr - http://www.lmarr.com/discs.html.

Ron

PS - the Lmarr web site displays this photo of their Ace wheel discs on what they allege to be a Jaguar. Anyone recognize this car?

Ron

If it is , it doesn’t have centre lock wheels.

the repro Ace discs are a simplified version

I have also seen someone put Ace discs on an SS100 … wrong .

Hmm looking at the Lmarr website I was ’ interested, amazed . stunned. horrified " etc to see wheel discs listed for E Types

And there they were on a V 12 roadster

LIpstick on a pig.

Ah Ed come on–can’t you see this was only the first step to take the car to the salt flats!

and yet several SS100’s had ACE disc literally within weeks of them being supplied new and maybe if you ordered a new SS100 in 38 39 you could request ACE discs!
the same way you could order chrome wire wheels on anSS100 or a Scintilla magneto

Terry

As you say “Maybe” But ’ wrong" in terms of wrong look ,wrong context not wrong as “wrong it wasn’t done”

While there may be some reason for Ace discs on Sallons , the 100 was a minimalistic sports car. and Ace disc were about as appropriate as an ariel with a fox tail.

My MKIV 11/2 litre came with them in 2004, fitted by the elderly P.O. . He was arthritic and finding the wire wheels too hard to keep clean.

I agree they are a bit of a pain to fit. I took the outer parts off to be resprayed a week ago and to my amazement managed to get the four on the car off with the big C spanner, two immediately and two after WD40 and a couple of hours wait while they soaked. The one in the spare wheel compartment is more of a challenge as the chrome has corroded.

The only other issue I have had is that on one wheel the airline connector was not depressing the fine wire in the curved tube connecting to the tyre valve enough to get air in. I substituted a modern lorry one. Needed 8 inch length to handle curving past spokes. I don’t know if the internal bit for the original metal tube extensions is available.

Alan