Acrid smell in Passenger Compartment - Oil weep under hood

Hi All,

2004 XK8, 20,000 miles. I was noticing an acrid smell being introduced into the passenger compartment. An exhaustive inspection for any leaks only turned up weeping from r/h valve cover tbolt (closet to firewall). The weepage was migrating onto a tin shield at the bottom of the valve cover seperating the valve cover from the exhaust manifold.

This “incense” oil “aroma” is being sucked into the fresh air inlet for the heater/a/c causing unpleasant smell. Do you all think I could get away with tightening the bolt or is a new gasket in order?

Thanks for your opinions.

Tom

Could well be the pollen filter needs to be changed.

Thank you Jimbo I’ll take a look at that and have it replaced :smiley:

2004 Jaguar XK8 Convertible does not have a pollen/cabin air filter. It has just a receiver duct for incoming air, no provision/space/tabs for a filter as shown in the S/M on perhaps other vehicles.

Tom

Spray some Lysol into the air intake below the windscreen with the a/c on full blast. Your car will smell like Emergency Ward 10 for about two weeks, but after that, you’ll be fine.

Thanks for the idea Larry.

Tom

Hi All,

I had the dealer replace the r/cam cover gasket. $700. The dealer tech did an excellent job and the smell coming in the vents is now neutral. When the warmer weather comes, I will treat the evaporator to a “Frigi-Fresh” application, Amazon $30. I look forward to be able to smell the Connolly leather upon entering the vehicle!

Tom