Adjustment of doors & panel gaps

I guess we are all fairly tolerant of the fact that early Jaguar panel gaps and flush are not like a modern car but I would like to have a go at making some improvements on my 1973 Series 1.

I’ve looked in the ROM etc for a “procedure” without success so I hope there may be someone in this community who has the knowledge and can share it as I think it must be more complex than slacking bolts and jiggling… for example, if I want to adjust the front door up/down is the adjustment in the door side of the hinge or the A post side?.. What order is recommended and are there any datums that I should work off?

Any and all assistance appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

The datum is even gaps all around the door, Mike - and door panels flysh with the pillars…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Hi Mike, I recently refitted all doors. Best with a partner as they are heavy and movements need to be controlled. Alternatively I have used a hydraulic jack and a length 3" x 1" under the door frames (they’re square and level). Adjustment by multiple set screws - plenty of movement through hinges to plates in the pillars that slip. Doors work similarly. Strikers and latches per big philips screws - best attacked with a screwdriver with a shifter nipped up to the handle for leverage. It’s an exercise in patience and incremental improvement. Mine need one more round of treatment - the a pin stripe. Paul

once its close to right, you can make up spacers of newsprint to exact thickness…ie .085mm, tape them in place aprox every 6", and shut door, bonnet, boot etc,works so long as you can get access to tighten screws