Advice on air conditioner compressor for 1987 series 3 XJ6

I’d be cautious if someone tells you they can get a new A6 Harrison compressor. The part numbers I have (1131376, 12300271, 12300272, 19169332) all come up as ‘discontinued’. However, there may be other numbers I am not aware of. There have been many revisions.

Or, they may be offering a new compressor from a manufacturer other than GM/Harrison

I did come up with this though:

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/acdelco-15-21684-a-c-compressor

I’m pretty sure this is a remanufactured unit, not new.

Note that it is the ‘pressure switch’ type compressor and not ‘superheat switch’ type.

Unless yours is a very late '87, it’ll be set up for the superheat switch wiring. No worries, it’s a very easy change. If you have the 3-prong thermal fuse at the compressor bracket, you have ‘superheat’ wiring.

Cheers
DD

Thank you Matthew . Fortunately my technician has a dedicated delivery bottle for R12 only.

Thank you for the clarification as well as the link to stockwise auto. My '87 car was built September 1986, I don’t know if that would be considered ‘early’ or ‘late’ by series 3 standards. I used the link you provided to visit their website. Price looks great, but under ‘units in stock’, unfortunately, ‘zero’ appeared. I’ve owned the car 19 and a half years. Twelve years ago I had this same technician replace the compressor, expansion valve, and receiver/dryer on this car. I’ve always made a point of driving the car at least once every seven to ten days (maximum), and up until last Thursday, have felt my efforts have been worthwhile. For the last twelve years system has worked well and never required so much as a ‘topping off’ of refrigerant. You’ve read the erlier parts of this thread, and I think we can both agree by now a new compressor installation would be a wise course of action. Finding one is proving to be a nightmare. To make matters worse, this technician says I can bring him a compressor to install, but he would not honor a warranty on it if any part of it were to fail, and I’d have to pay for a new part and labor all over again if that were to occur. He said if he supplies the compressor, for which he would want $800.00 (!) he would give a warranty on the part and labor. For curiosity, I asked him what kind of compressor he would provide for $800.00, to which he replied he would have to ‘shop for one.’ (?)… I called the folks at Retro Air, and the gentleman I spoke with was honest enough to tell me that their units come with fittings for R134A, not R12, and also admitted that in order to get it functioning properly with R134A I’d need to also replace a bunch of other parts including some fittings and even the condenser! … Not interested… I’m so disgusted now I don’t know what to do anymore… If you have any more thoughts on this I’d be happy to hear them… Thanks…

No Frank, it is adjustable.

First month I owned my car, fifteen something years ago, and on a Canadian 6.000km coast to coast trip, the compressor started to sound like a drum machine, and even with the climate control off.
Emergency stop at an A/C shop…
Clutch had NO gap and was always engaged, system was empty and probably lost all its oil, very cool technician put an extractor at the front of the clutch, re-gaped and freed the clutch in situ, removed the thermal fuse to disable the compressor and half an hour later I was able to continue my trip.

Yes it is…
They are all re-manufactured as far as I know, and with great variations in quality.
When reached home after this great long trip mentioned above got a new compressor. It sounded exactly like the old one… had to take it back, the place where I bought it gave me the run around, but after two weeks of hassle they took it back and gave me an other one, now still in the car and still working perfect.

Point is, you want warranty you have to pay the asking price…
You do it your self, you take the risk.

I chose the later, new O-rings, new dryer, R134a ports, filled the system and works fine since then.
You will still have adequate cooling, and easier maintenance. Only drawback is a bit of seepage through the rubber hoses.
On my 1990 Mercedes I converted from R12 to R134a without doing anything… just empty, fitted port adapters and refill. Works fine.
If you want to do the conversion properly, you do have to change the expansion valve and the two rubber hoses, it all depends on how far you want to go.

My two $ents…
Aristides

PS
And please, no need to ask the same question an every other thread.

Changes required for R134 are minimal and straight forward - no need to change the evaporator. Or reconvert ‘their’ compressor for R12…

R12 is a far more efficient refrigerant but here in NZ it is illegal, and not available. They may mean that a bigger evaporator would be required for the same cooling effect. Which is true, but somewhat irrelevant - the original evaporator will do…

I think an ‘all up’ cost of $800 - parts, refrigerant and labour - if not generous, is not extortionate…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Frank

$800 for just the compressor, PLUS refrigerant and labor is what he has quoted, and he wouldn’t tell me what brand compressor, or whether it’s new or used, because only once I commit to his offer, would he ‘start looking for one.’ I feel like this is exorbitant, but I’ve done business with him for over 12 years. If I scour around long enough I might be able to find a compressor between $250.00 to $500.00, and though my guy said he’d be willing to install it and just charge me labor , having read Paul’s reply to me yesterday, in which he told of having ordered compressors in the past from various vendors and had to return them for various faults, it would seem, ironically, that route could cost me more in time and money than it would be potentially worth in savings. If I take this guy up on his $800.00 offer which would include a warranty, it may, ironically, be the best course of action. He has always stood behind his warranties. Twelve years ago, when he replaced the compressor on this car, it failed within an hour. His supplier was obliged to give him another one. After further investigation, he traced the failure to a failed expansion valve, both of which he replaced at no additional cost to me. Perhaps he views the $800.00 compressor price tag as a sort of ‘insurance’ policy… I’m still mulling this over, haven’t yet decided what to do… your thoughts on this??

You should go looking for the compressor and make sure that he warranties (sp) for all the work but the compressor itself. So hoses, gas, installation.
That way you get your cheaper A6 and he does the critical work. He won’t be searching around all day, I bet.

I’ve been searching, so far, no luck, but will continue to search. Thanks.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but it’s not clear why you and your tech insist on replacing the compressor. The problem is that none of us trying to offer advice know if your tech is competent. But, assuming he is, you need a clutch. The clutch on a compressor is similar to the one on an engine…if it goes out you might decide to replace the engine while your at it (Shipwright’s affliction, as well I know) but usually you would just replace the clutch.

If, OTOH, there is something wrong with the compressor, it’s a good time to replace it. There may be something wrong with it by coincidence, but it would not be affected by a failed clutch.

There are two things I’ve picked up that are suspicious regarding your tech. First, is the clutch problem the coil or the spacing adjustment? Could be both (the coil would draw more current if it couldn’t pull in the clutch plate to complete the magnetic path) but I doubt it. Second, you reported that the R12 hadn’t leaked out, because he saw the correct pressure on his gauge. Refrigerant charges consist of a liquid in equilibrium with its vapor. With the compressor off, you will read the correct vapor pressure as long as any liquid remains–you could be nearly empty. It’s a good sign that it’s not completely empty, but it’s speculation that it’s fully charged. He should tell you that you might need more R12.

The fact that the guy won’t agree to discuss what kind of compressor you want is a red flag too, IMHO. The aluminum replacements are lighter, cheaper, and new. I think someone might be making new steel replacements, but it’s not the OEM. Rebuilts are variable in quality. He should know all of this, but probably doesn’t deal often with the A6. He might want a “markup” on whatever compressor he furnishes, but that could be agreed before you pay for the job. Have you considered starting over with another shop?

I have, but I’ve worked with this guy and his former partner for a long time. Most shops here won’t touch anything using R12

I bought one of the new aluminum replacement compressors while back and paperwork in the box said it was intended to be used with 134a.

That all the better! R12 presents less load, not more.

I’d like to know which compressor he is considering…

And as Bob says; has there been no success in getting the clutch to react? There are no ‘adjustments’ for a dead clutch…

Frank

What brand aluminum compressor was it, where did you purchase it, and how long have you had it? Are you still using it with R12 with no problems? How much was it? Thanks

Mel R.

That’s a good point, David. If I can find a reliable source for a functioning compressor, that’s the approach I’m considering. Thanks.

That is the elusive seal you never find, won’t ever be able to reach without a cutting torch, and…
I hate AC systems. If it were like the E-Type heater… including the cooling part, that would be better than anything in the world. Yes, anything.

Four Seasons 58096 New GM A6 Compressor w/ Clutch (58096)
I was perusing amazon late one night looking for bargains in parts for some vehicles of mine and came across it. I googled the part number and according to Four Seasons catalog it was supposed to fit so I bought it.
I can’t comment on your other questions as haven’t installed it yet. My car has been off the road since 2003 just now getting round to finishing repaint and going thru it mechanically. I have intentions of changing the system over to 134a anyhow so was glad to see it was already setup for 134a. Knowing I had intentions of switching the system to 134a it was hard to pass it up at purchase price of 70 dollars, just one of those lucky finds couple years back.
Its currently on amazon for 267.

FWIW, I bought and installed a 58096 lightweight compressor in July of 2017, so this will be its third summer.One difference though- I use refrigerant oil that is “Double end-capped”. Meaning that it is compatible with R-12 and 134A. Worst case- I can switch to 134A if I have to. In the meantime I am running R-12. I got this unit after having two A-6’s throw a streak of oil underneath my hood. BTW, I have an '87 XJ-SC with a 5.3.(Rock Auto)

Doug
Several weeks have past since my initial post. Thanks to your info regarding stockwise auto, I checked their site, they don’t have any in stock at the moment. Meanwhile, a new problem has arisen. I visited the owner of the shop who replaced the compressor 12 years ago (it ran ok these last 12 years till the clutch failed several weeks ago). He always seemed a bit quirky to me, but from his behavior now, I’d say perhaps it might be time to replace the O rings in his head. The only reason I even considered patronizing his shop was because I know he’s been sitting on a huge supply of R12, and I’ve dealt with the former owner of the place since 1981. So when he said he wants $800 just for the compressor, I asked him which brand he’d use. He said AC Delco. Then I asked him if the part was new or rebuilt, at which point he went on a rant and said he would not work on my car, that he’s tired of people ‘trying to take advantage of him’, and I should take my 'fancy Jagwire (sic) to a dealership and have them work on it.I reminded him that I’d purchased this 33 year old car nearly 20 years ago for a few Thousand dollars, but the lunatic only launched in to a stronger tirade saying he’s sure my check book balance is larger than his. ??? As if his distorted thinking would suggest he has a license to steal as he puts a 400% markup on a rebuilt Delco compressor. Retaining my composure, I told him dealerships do not work on series 3 cars and do not stock R12. “Well, that’s your problem” he replied with a nasty laugh. As you might surmise, at this point, I wouldn’t let the lunatic near my car . The problem still remains, where do I take my car, which still may have a sizable quantity of R12 remaining in its compressor with the failed coil and clutch. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

A-yup: time back away slowly, and never again darken his door.