Advice on buying a Jaguar XJS V12 with potential steering rack leak

I have not seen my car yet, but have already bought about US$10k in parts … :unamused:

2 Likes

Raf,

What I think the car needs imadiately:

1. Rust: that rear panel “surface rust” is worrisome.
  2. New Steering Rack and bushings (the boot is wet)
  3. Cooling system overhaul, new viscus clutch and replace the yellow fan
  4. Ignition System overhaul
  5. Front shocks
  6. New Fuel hoses & Fuel filter
  7. PCV system cleaning
  8. Transmission Filter & Fluid
  9. Does it look like the intake manifold has a crack and patched with JB weld?
  10. Lots of interior cleaning and TLC

And possibly:

1. Front brakes - Rear brakes / IRS overhaul
  2. Front bushings / Front ball joints
  3. New headliner
  4. Paint job

Better get an estimate of how much all these are going to cost…

Aristides, your going with my list idea I said on the other post (LOL)!
I’m going to be a little more blunt here, because I started out the same way.
Unless the poster is willing and able to do some of the work himself, this is not the car for him. If they’re asking and concerned about budget already ( and its a legitimate concern) it’s only going to be exponential costs if left in the hands of a mechanic and not make for a very enjoyable ownership experience. All I saw was Jaguar and V-12 when I purchased my $6900 Jaguar. 14 years and thousands of dollars later I’m still in the game with lots of skinned knuckles along the way. But half the challenge and pride of ownership is when you can say you can work on these cars yourself.
My two cents.

Raaf, I dont want to sound rude or condescending here but if your not willing or able to do some of the work yourself, then you’ll be at the mercy of your mechanic (as others here have suggested) and you’ll be north of $10 K before you know it! Ask me how I know. I started out with the same thoughts that your having when I bought my 1988 XJ-S and still have the mechanics invoices to prove it. Not only that, but to go in with some knowledge is crucial. Even with my mechanics (expertise) he still sent me home with a car that wanted to overheat and needed new fuel hoses and injector wiring harness. I proceeded to spend the next year of my life fixing all the items he didn’t tell me about.
Every-time I went back to his shop he would be standing over an overheating XJ-S with the bonnet open and a garden hose. He was motivated to keep the cash cow coming by only fixing certain things. Needless to say I would have done things differently today.

That was the purpose of the list…

A leaking steering rack? That’s like screws falling out. Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place. Just ask John Bender.

I think we’ve scared off a potential XJS owner? It’s a great car to own, just dont expect it to be like a Honda and you’ll be ok.

1 Like

A $12K XJS should be in terrific condition, with no apparent problems and most importantly a batch of receipts that verify what necessary maintenance and work had been done to the vehicle that would justify the price being requested.
This list gave the potential buyer the correct advice, Don’t walk away, RUN.

1 Like

No no, I love the car too much to just quit yet. But I decided to go for a 6 cylinder, heard it’s much less trouble… 6 cylinder coupes are pretty rare though so I might get a convertible.

Yes, the engine might be simpler, and more modern if you get the later models, but the same rules apply.
If you will not fix and service the car your self get the best example you can find, even if at the time seems overpriced.
At least you will have a solid base to begin with.
Repair bills on a car that needs lots of things to be done will very quickly surpass the most expensive car …

1 Like

Way back when i worked, i made a call at a shop that rebuilt drive line components/ a new business for my insured. I drove my Jaguar. visible from his office window… he told me his prior business was a mechanical repair shop. And of his “favorite” client.

The customer drove a Jaguar just like mine!!! Annuity!!!

Carl

Good pass - that’s a very presentable $5k car that needs the usual full recommissioning, minus one glaring gnarliness…

Appears passenger door (?) is showing 61.xx mills on the paint thickness meter :flushed:. Obviously a ton of bondo in there, but was it a shunt or rot fix’n down low that was blended up.

I’d love to redo that car, but as others indicated, the price point is a off the mark.

Update y’all:
I got myself a 100K miles 1994 XJS coupe, 6 cylinder inline. Should be much easier to maintain for a first Jag…

Thanks all for your advice and telling me to PASS! :smiley:

1 Like

Lots of replies from some pretty knowledgeable folks. I’ll only speak to the steering rack issue. I have a 90 XJS convertible with about 75K miles. When I bought it there was a leak in the power steering system. I decided to try rebuilding it myself with a kit. I failed miserably despite extensive conversations with experts at Maval in Ohio. I sent both the rack and the PS pump to Maval to rebuild. They did both for about $340. When I reinstalled my stuff, I found that the hydraulic hoses were leaking so I replaced them as well and the system has been perfect ever since. The folks at Maval, including the guy who does the rebuilding, gave me a lot of phone time describing the process to follow. When it didn’t work out, they were great about getting it done and shipping it back to me.

1 Like