Aed conversion to Manual Choke

Another typical, and avoidable, fault is ‘grunge’ build up in the hot air pick-up on the manifold, Jochen…

This will reduce air flow and the heating of the bimetallic spring - and the AED will malfunction. Heat is stored in the AED to ensure that the bimetallic spring cools in step with engine cooling. So the AED needle and air flow matches engine needs with ‘warm’ starts after an engine shut-down…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Good evening all from here in the UK.
An update on the over rich mixture to my 1984 xj6 3.4 su carbs.

As suggested i have stripped of the twin SU carbs to find that some clever so and so had replaced the main jet bearing upside down and thus the needle could not close off. it was sitting proud and pushing the dash pot piston up above the rest position. Also as they are HIF carbs the mixture screws were not set correctly along with the throttle settings out of sync.

I have ordered new gaskets and jet bearings etc from a great company here in the Uk called…

BURLEN LTD www.burlen.co.uk great service and prices spot on.

Thank you all for your help so far.

When it is all back together i will update further.

Keith

Wow am I glad I have the 4.2 engine with the HS8 carbs these have an unused choke mechanism built in to them. I was able to bin the AED, block off the pipe connection to the manifold install the extra linkages to connect the choke mechanisms & fit a manual choke cable This is an early version I made a much better bracket for the choke cable after a while.

Congratulations, Keith,

it seems we were on the right track suspecting somethiing wrong with the main carbs. Curious to hear what happens after you got the main carbs right.

As for Burlen, I fully concur. I once had a chance to get a pair of SU carbs for my Spitfire. The part no. tags were still on and with the documentation on Burlen’s site I was able to find out which parts I needed to get the to the exact specs of my own car.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

So am I…it appears mine is fitted with Burlen SU manual choke kit to suit HS8

Its a sweetly built piece of gear, not sure whether they still sell them, think so, they are not cheap

I control mine with an locking choke control knob, works perfectly

a teaser …upcoming project, fit 420G manifold with triple HS8, twin choke, cable ex Strombergs, twin throttle cables.

I have 4 x spare HS8 on the (kitchen) bench, checking if it will all fit, seems it will, I will start a new thread, vehicle is a 420G

If ur the same Keith who supplied the small oil adaptor block for this mod engine, thx mate!

Hi Tony,
Yes that was me!
Burlen have never sold the choke 'conversion as a kit, they would rather sell an AED for more than the cost of an SU Carburettor than a low cost kit. You can only buy the conversion as a list of components & I’m not sure if they still sell them. I can look up the list of parts if anyone is interested to try.