Aero E-type Jaguar

Has everyone here seen this?

2 Likes

I have now!!!

I think he donā€™t want no road rash on this one.
Thatā€™s some car but ya gots to drive it.

Wow! Beautifully done. Donā€™t like the dash switches.

I.
Amā€¦
Aā€¦
Fanā€¦

1 Like

That is amazing.

And probably cost equal to the annual budget of New Zealand.

And what a soundā€¦they should have just given us another minute of that sound.

1 Like

Wow. What an interesting video. Interesting custom but I am old fashioned and prefer a stock XKE. My 1968 series 1.5 coupe with 16,000 original miles is an exciting car to drive. All original and bought in 1968 by my uncle, it has remained in the family as an original California car. I recently replaced the head gasket, redid the head and changed the valve guides to burn unleaded fuel. Other than adding a new starter (put the original in the box) the car is completely original. My mechanic replaced all the rubber in the IRS and only changed the oil in the transmission and rear end. He has told me on many occasions that I should leave it completely stock as the engineers in 1968 knew what they were doing. I have made no other changes and the car runs great. I added Evans for a coolant and it is very good. Car runs cool with original air conditioning on in 95 degree California weather. What do the other enthusiasts out there think ?

I am in general agreement: the engineers knew what they doing, butā€¦ it was 1969.

Things progress, and there are sensible and reversible updates that increase reliability and ease of service.

Personally I think the car is ugly in comparison the the original design/build but then Iā€™ve always felt the same way about the low drag coupe that came form the factory.

3 Likes

I like it a lot! 20 years ago or so there was another one off, think it was made in FL but canā€™t remember. I had the photo of that thing on my computer deskstop for years. That one was closer replica of the original IIRC. The one original low drag coupe is alive in the UK I believe.
pauls

Record me as a fan of the look. One question I have is if there are wind tunnel tests documenting that the low drag design really has a lower drag than the regular fhc?

Engineers were using best available knowledge regarding emissions in 1969. Which is why (IMHO) my car WAS a slug compared to an Series One. But generally stock is *ock!

Anyone know how much C&G 380hp aluminum engine costs?

I heard the number exceeds $75,000.

I think this is an extreme example of ā€˜Horses for Coursesā€™.

This car was built/commissioned by a wealthy enthusiast who wanted to scratch an itch, and see his creative vision come to reality. He accomplished that, and he seems happy with the results of the money he spent.

So, discussing the virtues of preserving originality in this context is sort of like comparing the dietary and exercise habits of someone trying to run a 4-minute mile, versus someone who is trying to set a world record in weight lifting. The end goal is totally different.

2 Likes

Agreed, but my dislike of this iteration has nothing to do with originality other than comparing the basic look of the thing. Itā€™s an aesthetics issue not an engineering issue for me. I just donā€™t like it or the Jaguar produced low drag coupe.

I dislike this one less than the original LDC, but concur: the LDC isnā€™t as beautiful as the standard coupe.

EDIT: I now recall what the nose reminds me ofā€¦

https://images.app.goo.gl/quG5NrSsaj176sLh6

Chocolate and Vanilla boysā€¦

Not kicking either out of my garage bed

1 Like

Ya holdout: you dint tell us youā€™d gotten a LDCā€¦

:grimacing:

1 Like

Comparing these and other ā€œkinda-likeā€ E-Types is like comparing a current singer or current band to the singers and bands that we grew up with. There will always be someone to sing Beach Boys hits or play Glen Miller hits, maybe even technically superior, but the originals will always be the originators. For that alone we give extra points.

This car is very nice but at the car show Iā€™d put it in the ā€˜tributeā€™ class because, lets face it, there isnā€™t a single thing E-Type-ish about it except perhaps the tail lights.

I think pedigree counts for somethingā€¦and the basic shell!

:wink: