After 32 years my '89 must go

Never! They should live for ever!

Someone in a more temperate climate would buy it if you have to give up :slightly_smiling_face:

Which now looks unlikely :smile:

In late 80s people were still pouring into Houston. Selling new cars a young man fresh out of college from Seattle was wanting to trade in his immaculate 280Z for a new Nissan240SX.

Took it over to the used car lot for a trade in value. He shopped it to several wholesalers. No one wanted to pay anything in Houston for a car with no AC. He financed without the trade and sold it to his little brother in Seattle for the down payment.

1 Like

If you need a decent defroster … you need ac working to first dehumidify the moisture out of the air you are getting ready to blow up to the windshield.

Or be willing to wait util the inside is toasty enough that the windshield as heated up enough … or keep a towel to wipe off the inside of the windshield.

At least that has been my experiences in various cars.

But I’ve always been in humid areas, maybe ac isn’t needed in low humidity areas? Curious if that is the case.

I live in the UK, I have no idea whether it is considered a high humidity area or not, but it is often very wet :grinning: The A/C in my XJ40 hasn’t worked for years but the heater clears the screen and side windows quite quickly regardless of what the weather is like, even when it is frozen up, and unlike other cars I’ve owned in the past without A/C I never need a wiping cloth to mop up any condensation. I once owned a Daimler V8 250 with no A/C, the condensation in that car was a real nightmare, so much so I had to carry a sponge on a long stick to keep the rear window clear in damp weather conditions and used a chamois leather for the inside of the front screen, I’d literally have to wring it out after some journeys.

1 Like

Ah the joys of motoring in UK weather! A distant but vivid memory not missed in any way LOL

1 Like

As you know, i live in a semi-arid desert, where we receive 25 cm of precip/annum, on a good year, and where we begin to bellyache when humidity gets over 30%.

We can hang out a wet duvet, on a typical summer’s day, and it will be bone dry in an hour. T-shirts can take up to ten minutes…

When it rains, we run to a window to look at it…:grimacing:

Having just returned from Yr Faire Country, I can assure you, you live in a high humidity climate.

:wink:

1 Like

I sort of guessed the UK would be considered a high humidity climate but I was uncertain how that is determined. When I lived in Jeddah the temperature in the Summer would regularly exceed 40 degrees, and just like Colorado, T shirts and any other laundry would dry in minutes, it only rained twice in five years and yet it was considered to have high humidity. If you alighted from a flight in the evening, as soon as the aeroplane doors opened you could actually feel a sort of wetness in the air, hard to describe but the air felt ‘thick’ and you would be soaked through just walking across the tarmac into the terminal. Some of it was obviously sweat but most of it seemed to come from the surrounding air.
I’m quite ‘thick’ when it comes to topics like this, it’s why I love this forum so much, it’s always a source of learning and education, probably learned more on here than I ever did during my 10 years in school :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

By two of my favorite words: sling psychrometer.

You and me both, my friend! There’s hardly a day go by that I don’t learn something from somebody on here.

1 Like