After market, but new, SU carbs

May I go back to Cyberman’s original post about switch out Stormbergs for SU. What were the issues with the Strombergs which made him take this complex and expensive step? Was it performance, difficulty with adjusting existing ones or something else? Cyberman may not still be following the tread so others may wish to speculate.

Phillip,

It would be speculation on my part, but the likely answer is that he, like the rest of us, is a fool. A fool and his money are soon parted… Though those who have spent the money will often claim that the triple SUs have resulted in huge increases in power, the truth is that it probably cost them $250 for every additional HP they achieved. A go faster stripe is much better value. That said, we are all fools to have these cars, and some of us with dual Strombergs might be a little jealous…:blush:

3 Likes

My guess would be ‘something else’. I profess no interest in such a conversion… then I see a pic like this:

I have to admit, I wouldn’t be sorry to see that under my Christmas tree in December.

1 Like

Been there and done it!

My 2 cents’ worth…

The triples do make more horsepressure, right about the time the engine’s getting close to redline.

On the street, and with a proper advance curve/ good dizzy, a well set-up pair of “Strongbirds” would quite adequately, up to ~4000 rpm.

Yes Paul but the 3xSU’s are needed to go 150mph.

1 Like

Yea: Im thinkin’ the lack of triples on the Jee Type will disappointingly keep its top speed well under 150.

:laughing:

If your Jeepster goes 150 Thelma, Call me Louise!

1 Like

With a 3.73 diff? And the Cd of a split level?

Call me a blowed-up Jag engine!

:cowboy_hat_face:

I would need to go from two to three of something else to get me into my '62 at 150mph. Paul.

5 Likes

I made the change to triples for two reasons, neither involved hp or top speed.
The first is the esthetics. The Triple SU’s just look better.
The second is that I’m much more familiar/ comfortable working on SU’s than strombergs.

Any boost in performance is always welcome of course.

The received wisdom seems to be that the triple SUs are better at higher RPMs , so …if you don`t really drive that fast ( like me ) then why bother changing ?

You bet. Also the counterbore must match the banjo if the banjo is a reproduction. The banjo also needs a good surface finish if there is any hope that it seals. The almost pot metal nature of the carbs themselves makes high torque values out of the question to stop leaks, so everything must be perfect, or very carefully tweaked to work properly. Solution? - all original stuff.

1 Like

As stated above, largely it’s because of perceived esthetics.

Hi, I am still here and keeping the tread alive with updates on my progress. This is a really valuable resource for the clueless to become less so and I value the feedback both technical and on peoples personal preference.

My main reasoning is that my rebuilt engine has a bunch on performance upgrades and prevailing wisdom seems to be that to maximise the benefits of these i should fit new carbs - was looking at Weber but went with SU in the end.

Also, when i bought the car i had a choice of a rust bucket 67 S1.5 or this very solid ‘70 S2 I figured the known cost of new carbs was better than ‘how long is a piece of string’ unknown bodywork spend was a better plan. I could get clear quotes for s fast road engine, not so for potentially endless welding.

I have done quite a few restomods over the last few years from V8s to A Series and have always needed to upgrade the carb as part of of a fast road upgrade - the straight 6 might be different given the low down torque, but i’d very much like the extra adjustment to make the car my own.

In the end though i guess i simply can’t resist thinking i might know better than the factory (depending on the measure, i have about a 70% success rate… the turbo mini was a big, big mistake - don’t suppose anyone wants a fully restored metro turbo system and the challenge of infinite torque steer?). But then again, this is the first project i have tampered with that was genuinely designed for performance - so maybe i am going too far.

Besides all this, I like the SU look too.

Richard, I have to agree that the asthetics are an improvement that it is hard to put a dollar value on but I’m with you, the SUs look great.

I am sure you are aware but if you have done anything to increase the airflow characteristics of the engine, you are going to want to play around with some richer needles.