After-Market Radios & Antennas

It don’t hurt the running much !!!

Doggone It! Now I gotta check my antenna. I THINK it retracts when I select CDs…but now I need to confirm

Went to check mine and it is, rather typically, not working in any mode :frowning_face: My recollection is that it is always up when the audio system is on, because the RDS news/traffic reports can interrupt a CD being played.

1 Like

Yep, except I still use a flip phone (:duck:ing) and, as I mentioned, I like the coolness of the moving antenna mast … :cool: My fav station only plays '80s pop music anyway … :musical_note:

Actually, taking a second look at that listing now I remember the name of that co. and IIRC they did have some “issues” in the past regarding the products they sell, although I can’t recall specifically whether that issue was “bootlegging” or some issue regarding the use of the purchased product(s). :thinking:

Looks blank to me … :confused:

I see you have the same type of digital tire gauge that I have for both my cats, and kept in the same location. :smile: btw, Superblue has those two items in her cubby box, as well. I had never thought about them being blanking plates for switches though, until now. I guess I assumed they were covers over some attachment screws/bolts or something …

I was wondering whether it retracts when listening to cassette tapes, but the more I think about it probably not, b/c I think that is how I “wanged” off antennas twice (XJ40s) when I rode through an automated car wash while listening to them. :blush: Damn attendant neither time warned me that it was up before I entered the wash … Grrrr :angry:

On second thought, are those possibly magnets that help keep the end of the cubby box lid closed? IIRC, there is a corresponding metal strip on the end of the underside of the lid. :confused:

I believe you are correct Cosmo… just checked mine regards radio and CDs. Antenna up with power to audio control head. Stayed up when switched from radio to CDs. Retracted with power off to the audio system.
Did not have a cassette with me to put into the unit.

my 95 coupe isn’t like that. Flat across and with only the one hole for the spade from the top to insert into.
e
I wonder if those blanks could be tied to installation of a car phone. We had a 2000 XJ8 VandenPlas that had a dealer installed car phone in the center console. Since it would not work with the generation of mobile phones in use in 2003 I removed it to regain usable space in the console

I removed my console box and discovered some mobile phone connections. The two blanks must have been switches associated with a phone back in the day. I removed one of the blanks. The hole in the plastic box is 5/8" X 1 1/16" and is the same size switch as the Sport Mode switch below the gear selector.

Cat6 instrumentation readout probe?

That’s where my antenna switch goes. I bought a switch from Radio Shack, snapped in there as if it was made for it! I used Radio Shack rocker switch Part 275-690 - still available!

Thanks, just ordered one off of ebay.
Kevin

Well, sure looks like a great and opportune place to mount a switch

The phones being a dealer item, I am sure the install technique varied greatly. Here is what mine looks like. FWIW, my 89 does not have the little bezels on each side of the latch, the console must have changed later. However, I noticed the “Roof” switch between Kevin’s window switches… I think I am gonna try to put my power antenna switch there…
Phone pics for posterity:

VK, would you please post a pic of your switch? I’m curious what type, as it seems any one that would stick up even slightly above the edge would keep the console lid from firmly closing shut. :thinking:

As long as the switch is lower than the hump, it won’t be a problem.

that is nice!

Would also be good place if on wanted to mount switch for electric aux fan operator controlled on-off