After our E-types, what would be our favorite car?

Of course we’re all about our E-types but I’m sure there are “#2s” that are the Apple of our eyes. And I’m curious as to the tastes this knowledgeable group might have.

I realize that many of us perhaps have a few cars, but this is a “what if” question as to what car we’d love to own but don’t. In other words what car would we love to see sitting next to the etype when we walk into the garage. So what is the one you don’t have that you’d like to add? My vote already submitted above.

I’d be tempted to trade my E-type in for a Ferrari 275 GTB.

I’d want to keep both, of course, but I’d need to be able to afford the insurance somehow.

2 Likes

Nick, I have to agree that my “lottery” car would be about any front engine 12 cylinder Ferrari, but the keyword for me is “lottery”; they have escalated beyond my means but I still love them!

Image result for aston martin db4 gt zagato for saleAs long as we’re
dreaming, I’ll take 2.

Image result for siata 8v

First off the E-Type isn’t my favorite car; it’s my favorite car I can afford.

If price were not a factor? So many choices. Ford GT40, real Cobra, Duesenberg Model SJ Dual-Cowl Phaeton, Ferrari Daytona. Pick one? Ford GT40

Funny thing is, Ron, the Ferrari 275 GTB was once only worth about 3x an E-type. A friend of mine had a nearly perfect red 1966 275 GTB/2 longnose 6-carb in the late 70s he’d purchased for $14K from one of the Eaton brothers in Toronto. He sold it in the mid 80’s for 10x what he paid. Now worth about $2.5M, down quite a bit from a year ago. A more realistic choice would be a Dino 246GT, eminently restorable examples of which were trading hands a decade ago for $50K or so, now around $300K in #2 condition:

Currently it’s my 1954 XK120 OTS. I won’t post a pic because she’s currently completely naked and is rather shy about it.

Lots of Ferraris! My all time favorite is the 250GTO. I have a die cast model of one which is as close as I will get to owning one.
pauls

1 Like

I’ve got a collection of plastic models including cars I have owned plus cars I’d like to own.
Owned:
TR-3
VW Cabriolet
Porsche Boxster
Jaguar E-Type
Like:
MG TC
Lotus 7
Jaguar Mk II; XK-120; XK-SS; Silk Cut XJR9
Mercedes 300 SL
Lotus Elan
Ferrari 250 SWB Berlinetta; 250 GTO

But my choice has not been made in a 1:24 model I have seen:
Dino 246GT

No question, I prefer the E-Type to all those cars.

Jerry

Even though I’ve listed one of the few American cars so far, I can’t believe how much I’m in agreement with everyone else’s list so far! Nick I had an opportunity to buy a Lusso back in about 84 for about $30k. I tried to get my wife to live in a trailer so we could have the Lusso but she wouldn’t go for it. We could have paid cash for a nice palatial home now had we have sold the Lusso in today’s market, but then that’s not why I wanted it. I have most Ferrari 250 series in a 1:43 scale collection and agree that’s as close as I’ll get!

I can’t even show a pic of the models I have because they’re all over the place, displayed on the mantle, a few in bedrooms and a stack of new in box in a closet. Those are all pretty much 1/18th scale, I have a couple of Lesney fhcs that are 1/32nd I believe. Probably a dozen E-types and a mix of everything else from MG, Porsche, Vette, Veyron to '55 Chevy.
pauls

Beyond the E I would choose the MKII which I personally believe to be the best looking Jag ever…after that I would go for a JPS Lotus Europa…one of the best handling cars I ever drove.

If this thread is going to models… MG J2 Metal model I built using 4 different kits to build. They do not make a 1/24 J2 kit so I cut down a MGTC and used M type fenders and bits from other MG kits.

1 Like

Wow, you guys aim high.

I enjoy my Pagoda and 911. Would like a 64, 65 Mustang to compliment my ‘collection’

However, I would looove another 6 garages before I can dream of anything else.

I keep on telling my wife, ’ just one more classic and I’ll be happy’

Regards
Chris

Guess I am lucky I think the E is the neatest car of all time regardless of price. I sure would love to have a MK 10 too if I had room. Best looking sedan ever I think. An Aston DB-4 or DB-5 sure would be nice or how about a XK120 Supersonic

My lottery car is a D-Type. My realistic alternative would be a Volvo P-1800.

I believe the Supersonic on the left is a Fiat. I have a similar photo, same background but both cars facing forward with the following caption: Fiat 8V Supersonic, left, and the Jaguar XK120 Supersonic on the right. Photo by Dirk de Jager.
pauls

Lottery cars

XJ220
GT40
McLaren
CX75

And a garage for them

I’d sell my E-Type for an F-Type OTS if I could ever be that bothered. It would have to be the 5 litre SVR one. Often thought about it, it would be a second hand F-Type, not paying out all that money to see it carry on devaluing over the years.

Dave

Oh The Etype has been my achievable bucket list car and I’m thrilled to have another in the garage. The first was a 1963 roadster that I sadly sold before completing it back in the early 80s. I would LOVE to have that car today but am very happy with the coupe as I believe both coupes and roadsters are equally alluring.

At least the coupe will be a similar color to the gorgeous California Spyder. Yes, my absolute Lottery car and it would take that to put one in most folks garages today.

This thread is just for fun though I am having a blast getting my etype together and love peering at the shape in my garage- even the hub carriers are beautiful to my eye!

2 Likes

I have often had those sacrilegious thoughts myself...