After our E-types, what would be our favorite car?

Of course there are many cars that I would love to have, such as a 1965 GTO convertible, Shelby GT350, Aston Martin DB5 and DB7 as well as the aforementioned Dino, but my dream car would be:

Yes, I’m dreaming. You must win Powerball to even have a shot at one. :wink:

–Drew

1 Like

For everyone that likes the XKSS the previous edition of Octane magazine with the feature on Jaguar Heritage building the car is not to be missed! I don’t know whether those or the lightweight E-types are cooler but it’s off the charts cool that Jaguar is doing them.

Ron, I have owned an OTS for 35 years and it remains my most prized posession, but the most pretty E-type of all is any of the S1 fixed heads. Full stop. Still high up on my bucket list.

If I won the lottery I’d keep the E-type coupe and then add in no order…

1. BMW 3.0 SI coupe - beauty and performance
  2. Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder - beauty and performance
  3. 1970 Plymouth Challenger Hemi - power and style
  4. 1961 Chevy Impala 409 4-speed 2-door convertible - my first car with a hotter motor
  5. 1969 Chevy Camaro Z28 - power and style
  6. Series 1 E-type OTS to make a pair with my coupe - pace and grace :slight_smile:
  7. Aston Martin DB7 coupe - Bond, James Bond
  8. Aston Martin V-12 Vantage - cause it’s a super car in my eyes
  9. Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 or Series 2 saloon that’s in top nick
  10. 1968 Ford Mustang Shelby 500KR

I gotta day of the factory sponsored racers the low drag coupe is my favorite, it just looks like an animal, tho I’m very fond of the C-type.
pauls

Such much to choose from. After the E, a well sorted Mk2, then I’d look at other marques. Probably start with a cheaper Porche, and just for fun a 1970s Beetle with a blown 2.5litre Scoobie engine. The lottery car would still be a Jag, the XK220. The lottery garage would also have a few 2 wheeled rocket ships, at least one of which would be red and Italian. And one Brit Iron bike, probably a Trident.

It will still be the E-Type that gets driven each sunny day, and most wet weekends, despite its rattles and shakes, its leaks and dribbles. Nothing has ever come close to being as affordable to run and fun to drive.

Hi,

Nothing fancy really, but yes, after Jaguar my other favourite car is Ferrari.

Even when I was looking for my 1st car, the S1 2+2, the second choice was a 250 GT/E. At the time both were “unpopular” amongs collectors as they were 2+2’s. For me getting a car in the first place was the need to carry more than myself and me missus, as she was expecting. And besides. I had a hard time understanding that weird logic, perhaps created by the car magazines etc. as all V12 E-type coupés, basically all classic Aston Martins and many other classic & sportscars are actually 2+2’s.

I am pretty sure the E-type was a better choice in a lot of ways. Sure, a lot of "what if"s can be said regarding values, but hey, I’m not buying cars to make money. I try to make some money so I could by some nice cars! :slight_smile:

And in practice I did that a couple of years ago, being very happy with the 40+ year old V12 roadster with a manual gearbox, I bought a slightly more modern (442 DIN HP) manual 6-speed V12 2+2, the Ferrari 456 GT when I think the prices for it had hit rock bottom. Having done the Le Mans Classic, a few Alpine tours and now in October also the Nürburgring with it I can say it is now my 2nd choice! :wink: Still for the next Le Mans Classic and next Alpine tour I am planning to take the V12 OTS through Sweden, Denmark and Germany.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Ps. Now I do like Bentleys, Aston Martins, Bristols, TVR’s etc. and Italian cars like Lamborghinis, Maseratis, Iso Rivoltas, Lancias, Alfa Romeos, Siatas, etc. but the complete package and value, that is what I actually can afford, is pretty much unbeatable with an E-type, or if looking for a larger car, with an XJC. The same even seems to apply for the older cars, Jaguars and SS’s always cost a fraction of similar performance Lagondas and Bentleys, not to even mention early Alfa Romeos or Bugattis, and although they were not in the same league really, they did offer great value, and still do. That was also the early slogan for Bill Lyons: “Jaguar, The finest car in it’s class”, kinda tongue in cheek saying that it’s not as fine as a Bentley, but then again, it did cost only a fraction of the price for an entry level Bentley, so it’s not in the same class.

Chris,
Did someone actually put a Subaru WRX motor in an old beetle? Other than surprising folks by blowing their doors off other cars in a straight line would think the car would be mostly unsuitable for anything else.
pauls

I would really like to have another Alfa GTV 2.5.

The favorite car I’ve ever owned was a '65 Griffith/TVR 400. Lotus Elan was second. Avanti third. Attached is a photo of my old Griffith, which the next owner modified a bit for the autocross application.

Paul,
This has been done. Two young lads, one of whom I met a few years ago, operate an internet based motoring magazine, modifying cars in one of their Mum’s drive. The mod required a moved rear bulkhead and some subtle cutouts in the engine cover to accommodate the twin cam heads. I also remember a specially designed charge cooler as there was no where to mount a normal intercooler. The main radiator was in the engine bay.

It was ferociously fast in the straight line, not sure if it handled in the twisties. Thinking about it, there is not a huge increase in weight with the larger engine, so it should be capable of going round corners with appropriate anti roll bars and dampers. But with lots of power and a serious rear weight bias it will go sideways quite easily.

And (I forgot this) a DB4. Metallic dark blue, de-seamed, no bumpers, tuned engine, lowered and stiffened and wide tyred. Two guys operate an AM restoration and race preparation business less than two miles from my front door.

My first pick is the '59 stingray & then the XJ13.

1 Like

Back in the 60s one of the automobile mags, I think it was Car and Driver, featured a pet project of the magazine staff wherin they were tweeking the power plant of a VW Beetle. The thing was featured over several sequential issues, starting with pictures and track testing of the stock 40 HP car (VW had just increased the power output from 34 HP) then doing things with blowers and other mods, more track testing and photos, then installing a Porsche engine and then playing with its output. The picture at the top of the article in the final month’s instalment was of the VW on its roof. Truly, a picture worth a thousand words.

Paul,
I’ll 2nd you on the low drag coupe. I’d often thought that I’d love to have an XKSS until i had a ride in Jerry Nell’s! I had to stand on the seat to get behind the wheel and there is no footwell on the passenger side and yet Jerry said that they toured 20K+ miles in Europe in it, good thing that Kathy wasn’t real tall! On 2nd thought a Ferrari SWB Berlinetta would be my number one!
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

I guess a 300SL Roadster would be great. I’ve never driven one though. Aston Martin Vantage definitley. 540K and if space available one Riva Aquarama please.

I remember seeing a 250 GTE for sale for about $5500 back about 1985. Road and Track used car ads. It was sold before I inquired about it. That, in my opinion, was a lot of car for the money.

I’m restoring my e-type so I can’t drive it but when I feel the need for speed I go for a blast in this…

And no, it doesn’t go underwater!

If money were no object I’d have a Lamborghini Miura and a Countach.

Hi,

Of all the wedge shaped designs of the 1970´s I think the original Esprit (S1 & S2) without the spoilers and sills etc. is the prettiest (I seriously was thinking of getting one) and the Countach as the name would imply in Italian is the most outrageous. It too can be pretty without the enormous wings and clatter in LP400 form, but a Black 400S/5000S is the right vehicle for Darth Vader if he’d choose to visit our humble little planet.

Cheers,

Pekka T. - 1S20183
Fin.

Of the wedge styled cars I like the looks Maserati Khamsin the best. It and the Bora might be the winners in the NEEDLESSLY COMPLEX ITALIAN category though. After Jaguar and Aston I think Maserati has some of the prettiest cars ever and is probably the winner for best interiors.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like