After our E-types, what would be our favorite car?

that would be my pick -funds unlimited.

Speaking of cars one could actually aspire to, 67 Corvette.

Mine has to be the one also seen in my avatar, A 1993 TVR Griffith 430. A 1 ton glass fiber tub on a tubular frame with the legendary Rover (Buick) V8, 280 BHP, 5 speed. I owned it from 1997 to 2005 in three countries.

Here’s my #2, no #1, ummmmm… #2

No, #1

Oh dear, I give up…

Oh yeah, Bizzarinis are the “real deal” would love to have one of those sitting in the garage! Beautiful yet brawny Italian body with a big old American V8 for proper ground pounding. And now much appreciated by a select few for all of those reasons!

Please educate me on that term. Never heard it before!

Giotto Bizzarini joined Ferrari in the late 1950’s as a designer and test driver. He’s credited with the design and racing success of the 250 SWB and the 250 GTO. He left Ferrari in 1962 to start his own design company, who designed the Lamborghini V-12 engine used for something like 45 years. The firm also designed the Iso Rivolta and Iso Grifo, which were “hybrids” in that they used American engines wrapped in gorgeous Italian coachwork. He followed that recipe for the 5300 GT Strada. I guess Giotto is still around, teaching design in Italy.

1 Like

See Bora492 post and picture. A beautiful green frog.

1936 MB 540k Spezial Roadster

One of these puppies

Hi AbeE69,
Now you’re talking.
Regards
Chris

1952 Alfa Romeo 1900 Disco Volante Spider

1 Like

If we’re going to get crazy and a car that is crazy to have outside a museum I’d have to say most 30s Bugattis and Delahays

I’ve seen Loren’s Bugatti Atlantic at a special showing its just an awesome thing to stare at. I’ve never seen an ugly Delahay tho some are much nicer than others.
pauls

That picture was taken at the Pebble Beach Concours, rather recently (see the “new” house in the background?).

I saw the car about 10 years ago in Boston. Of course its just in his collection so everything is pristine. So now I want the house and the car, rats!!! The red Delahay photo came from an undated concourse in Santa Barbara, but it looks relatively recent too.
pauls

There are lots of eye candy cars out there – DB4 zagato, Maserati a6G, 3500 GT, Disco volante, 275 GTB, Bizzarini, … – the problem is that more often than not when I have tried driving some of these “dream” machines (or something relative similar), I’ve been left unimpressed. I drove a DB6–a Mark II is a better ride. Jensen Interceptor? Like a boat. Maserati 3500 – felt frail. I’m now convinced it is better to keep a lot of these cars in the imagination, where the romantic view of the car can remain unblemished.

That’s what’s great about the e-type…fun to drive, stylish, great sound…it ticks all the boxes.

There are some cars that I have felt a bit of the same sensation as the e-type gives. Alfa GTV – great engine, fun ride once you get used to the different controls. Lotus elan – totally tossable and impossibly nimble. Tr4 – a totally controllable slide through every corner. Porsche 911 – a car that rushes toward redline and squats beautifully coming out of corners. These are my types of favorites – style, fun to drive…they just have IT. Of these, I I would choose the 911 as a favorite, because it so different than the e-type.

One of the weird experiences I have had is the Ferrari F430. Really is the most perfect driving car I have ever driven. Amazing steering, great sight lines, intoxicating engine sound winding to redline, grip like its on rails, brutal acceleration, but easy to drive around town. Great ferrari look. All that said, I really have no desire to own or drive the car. It was a fun half day trashing it around, but I don’t miss it the way I feel when taking the Jag out in the spring, or taking the 911 out on a country road.

Bill,
Very good points. Have to remember that every car built is/was a
compromise, none perfect. One has to consider what the builder’s target was
at the time of design, did it meet its target back in the day. Also the
condition of the cars. How many times have we heard complaints about the
E-type having some complaint and yet something as simple as tires makes a
huge difference, not to mention tired suspension parts. I’ve been toying
with the idea of getting a 911 for a few years, drove one, nice but not
that impressed, trying to get my head around why so much love is heaped on
Porsche. Two issues; my ineptness :slight_smile: and expectations. Everything gets
compared to what I’m accustomed to and my bad (or a few good) habits, not
the car’s fault.
pauls

Hi Paul,

Agreed…which 911 did you drive? I’m impressed by the newer 991 versions, but they left me feeling like the F430 – nice but not memorable. For me, it’s the old air-cooled versions that push the right buttons. I own an 87 carrera, which I love to drive, but the early 70s “S” models are my favorite. And yes, you do have to learn how to drive them. The front ends are light (and the rears heavy) so the lines you take on windy roads are different than what you would take in most front, or front-mid engined cars.

Paul,

+1 on the '87 Carrera! Actually I liked my ‘84 better. My experience was also that it was very different from the E-Type and maybe a little more exhilarating. A much more direct connection to the road. Definitely worth a few years’ ownership. You wouldn’t really rank the experiences, you’d want to have both.

Later 911s, never had experiences in one, but my recent Boxster was a superb car in every respect. Not like an '80s Carrera though.

Every test drive I did while buying mine brought out a story from the current owner about spinning the car on a freeway entrance! Yes, you do need to learn how to drive it! Not dangerous at all, you just have to not be a nutcase.

Jerry

Bill,
It was an '12 Carrera 2, drove it last year so 4 years old. My friend, a
Porshephile, also says the air cooled ones are best but then reading
current reviews now for several years the journalists seem to think they’re
better than ever and the water cooled ones are cheaper. So I’m left with
thinking I want an air cooled one but should get a later one. Personally
I’m kind of fond of the Cayman but my buddy says “no” :slight_smile:
pauls

Hi Paul…yeah, I would agree that the '12 C2 is nice, very fast and totally competent, but it didn’t do much for me. I could see using it as a DD, but it wouldn’t convince me to get rid of the '87. The air cooled are just very different. Much more analog. Great feel for the road. In a way, they feel indestructible.

BTW, is there a way on this new forum to put in a signature like we had previously?