Aftermarket Electric Fuel Pump

Can someone recommend an inline electric fuel pump that is appropriate for a 3.8L with twin HD6 carbs?

The current inline pump that is in that car is the loudest electric pump I’ve ever heard, and it’s mounted in the worst possible location.

So I want to move the pump back near the tank, but also want to replace it will a quieter model that doesn’t sound like a garbage disposal.

If no one has a direct one they recommend, can you tell me what the max fuel pressure rating should be, so I don’t flood the carbs?

Thanks!

I would order a new SU pump from Welsh Enterprises.

3 Likes

Fuel pressure should be 2.8psi.

Thank-you!

Kevin some of the Facet cylindrical pumps are a lot quieter then their little square offerings.

They do pump between 3.5 and 5 psi, so you might need a pressure regulator.

Exactly
Pressure to high…
the SU 1307 is the choice…mechanical…just touch up the points with an emory board…mostly lasts longer then I will live…
Not cheap…and for some reason went up in price a lot
Mitch

1 Like

On my Mk IX I’m trying out a diaphram pump made in New Zealand, which has a history of being an alternative to the SU pump. All sealed up in plastic there is no playing around with points. It still has a tick so you know it is going but not intrusive. I bought it during covid when there was supply chain issues. Details at fuel flow 15LM12. Matt

I use the same pump as MARIOCART in my 3.8 Mark 2. No problems, easy to fit and low cost. I bought 2 several years ago. One is carried as a spare in my Riley 2.5 in case the old SU gives trouble. They were about NZ$90 when I bought them - about 45 quid then
SAJ in NZ

Ya learn something new all the time, I never knew we had a fuel pump manufacturer here in NZ :imp:

Original SU are cheap but the rebuild kits are not. Usually there’s not much wrong with them.
New SU are the new pumps to get.

The SU sounds great. But because this is going into a '37 Packard body, I need the pump to tuck into frame rail near the tank. So in needs to be an inline type.

I may have found a carter pump that should suit the need based on PSI and flow rate.

Take a look at huco pumps. Very reliable (German)

Hüco.
Or Indian?
Hardi is German too. May be too large/loud.

Does a fuel injection pump with return and decent regulator work?

No return on this 1937 fuel tank!

I’ve ordered the Carter pump. I’ll report how it works out.