Aftermarket in-bonnet horns?

When rational, I go with actual original parts. Usually end up with the best reproductions. Often end up with hot rod parts, like relays.
I’d like some in bonnet horns which sound “English” - I don’t want to pay the required money to get the heavy and rare “real” horns. Any advice on some plastic jobs that sound decent? It isn’t rocket science to make brackets, but if I could get some that bolt to the brackets, that would be golden.
By the way, the stock ones look like they’d weigh about 100 lbs - or some strange metric / English force / mass unit like ‘stones’ or something…

In multiple attempts to replace my AAWH (Average Asian Wimpy Horns) on my Hyundai, I tried 3 sets of “inexpensive” plastic horns (all Wolo): EVERY SINGLE set expired in less than a year, and it was NOT because they got used a lot!

Solution?

Got a set of the 50-year old horns offa one of my parts Rovers…and they are going on their second year, and work fine.

If you visit a junkyard, you can get a pair of horns off any given American car for cheap, and they seem to be fine, and cheap.

I liked the sound and volume from the horns on our Mercedes. I looked and they are made by Hella. Hella sells the same part number everywhere for a very reasonable price, Under $30, IIRC . Same shape and easy to mount, but you may need to extend the wires a few inches; easy enough to do. I can’t find the receipt, but they were these:

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-007424801-Twin-Trumpet-Bracket/dp/B000COBK8A

Except for the color (that’s why they make black spray paint), they are the same as on the Mercedes.

Now we’re talking. Sounds great (?), only issue is the “quality” of German electrics. Three old BMW cars, one bike and an old Porsche - the electrics have actually been OKish, but the wiring diagrams are odd. Actually I’m going to take your advice and get the Hella’s.

In my limited experience Hella makes pretty decent stuff.

I like them because they are loud, louder than the stock Lucas horns. When some boob is rolling along texting in their SUV and drifts toward me I want to be able to get their attention.

To add to that—but no specific experience, horn-wise—Hella has classically made good stuff.

Larry
British parts northwest has the correct Jag horns (plastic version) for $27. a pair.
When I last got mine I think they were the Lucas version?

Glenn

Amazon is just way too fast - already ordered the Hellas…

There is something to be said for the “englishness” of the standard metal trumpet horns. We only ever had one on our Series 1 xj6 - and these are now a bit scarce. Fortunately, Series 2 horns with a plastic chassis, have a similar sound - so fitted these. Great to be able to dual note scare the excrement out of inadequate road users with such dignity and style, especially if they have their window down. Paul

I have the original horns on mine. Just recently got them working again. The issue was a wiring at the horn relay. They are pretty loud and sound like what you would hear on an early 70s large American sedan (IMO).

They are: it’s why I was grateful Tweety’s still worked!