Again....better sounding exhaust 3.8 ots

This has been thrashed so many times its exhausting…nonetheless…
I have Bell SS mufflers and down pipes…but switched the resonators to mild steel in hopes of getting a better Purr out of the cat…I don’t have that…just a blah exhaust…Ideas please…

very interesting as I have the same system, I was wondering if the mild steel resonators would change anything. you may have saved me some money. Having said that, I dont mind the SS sound now that its a year old. At first it was a bit tinny sounding, but it seems to have mellowed with time, have you noticed any of that? I dont see myself switching to mild steel mufflers as the sound isnt that “bad” to me. but then I am comparing to an original system that had pin holes all the way to the back. So just having a system that actually directs the exhaust to the back is great for me.

You’ve already spent a ton of money but for the past 15? years I’ve been running a set of stainless SuperTrapps with no muffler’s and you can vary the sound by how many plates you use in the ST’s. I’ve been running mine with the off road(open) ends plate which is pretty loud.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

I have the e-typefabs 2” stainless straight thru (which I believe is now being sold by classicfabs). I think the sound is great, not tinny in the least. They have a couple of different venturies you can insert to control the sound. I went with the louder Venturi. Had several people on the oil leaks say they liked the sound. These are expensive though, and I bought them quite a few years ago …

I replaced my disintegrating E-type mild steel exhaust system with stainless steel about three decades ago. Bell or Falcon. I’d have to look it up. The thing I do remember about the research I’d done at the time before I bought a system is it indicated that the gauge of the steel used to construct the exhaust system had more to do with the resonance and tone of the exhaust note than the metallurgy itself. That is to say, if the original system was 16 gauge mild steel the exhaust note from a system built from 16 gauge 409 stainless steel will be similar, if not entirely undetectable by those without perfect pitch hearing. But you don’t need the same heavier gauge material if it isn’t going to oxidise as readily so there’s no practical need to make SS systems as heavy duty as mild steel systems. There were, and I suppose still are, SS systems made from lighter gauge material than what was used originally, and those will sound brassy, as they must.

I have, however, an NOS mild steel dual exhaust system for my XK120 that I sourced 25 years ago. I want to hear the original sound when I fire that baby up for the first time since 1966.

I went with mild steel for the mufflers on mine based on what I read here about the sound of the S/S mufflers.

With unleaded fuel and my climate and driving they will last long enough for me.

I do have a Falcon system on my TR and they are not kidding about the lifetime guarantee. My Falcon muffler developed a split seam after only 35 years of use - they sent me a replacement promptly and gratis.

Who knew we agreed on that???

:yum::stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I had the Supertrapps, no mufflers, and with 12 diffuser discs on them, was passably tolerable and still had a proper “bark.”

Wiggles Patron
April 18
Robert_and_Darlene_S:
for the past 15? years I’ve been running a set of stainless SuperTrapps with no muffler’s

Who knew we agreed on that???

I had the Supertrapps, no mufflers, and with 12 diffuser discs on them, was passably tolerable and still had a proper “bark.”

Yep, 12 disc’s is the limit. Actually running with disc’s the exhaust “crap" would start to collect on the back of the car and as the entire exhaust system from the front of the cage back was homemade and welded together I was not inclined to take if off to weld in another two inches to move the end of the ST’s out further, so the open end caps solved the problem.
Bob

Paul, The “My other car is a Dodge” sticker, plastic held on with velcro, was put on my car, unknow to me at the time, by a good friend who died a short time later. That was close to 20 years ago and as long as I’m here it will remain!
Bob

Super%20Trapps

1 Like

I don’t know if they are still made, I couldn’t find them after a brief internet search, but I installed a pair of mufflers called “turbo packs” on my 2+2 in place of the stock mufflers, I left the stock resonators on the car. These mufflers we re shaped like a glass pack but they weren’t straight through. Inside were two parallel tubes like you would find in an oval turbo muffler. See the crude cutaway drawing below. They sounded great.

1 Like

Scroll to page 18 in attached link and I think you will find these Turbo Packs.

http://www.apemissions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Xlerator_Silverline_Performance_Catalog_XP10.pdf

Thanks for that, I guess I didn’t look hard enough.

That looks like them, but I don’t think the inlet and outlet on mine were angled as much, if at all, as shown in the pictures. If I weren’t happy with my current set up, stainless downpipes and everything else mild steel, li It’s what I’d use again. Just have a muffler shop fabricate adaptors and fab some hangers out of steel flats similar to what’s used on a 2+2.

Another Supertrapp fan here. Every time I drive the car, I remind myself what a great idea it was to change out the OEM style steel mufflers. In an OTS there’s ambient wind noise, so the Trapps never sound loud. And all the noise exits behind you, so its never bothersome to me or my wife. I am a hooligan at heart, however.
It even snaps, crackles, and pops just like an F-type in Sport mode.

I run stock down pipes to 1 1/4" straight steel pipes (replacing mufflers), back to the stock flattened pipes under the IRS, to a fab’d up pipe that leads to the "Trapps where the resonators used to live. 8 discs, so I traded low end & quiet for loud and top end.
Pete, I’d be happy to email a video recording if you want to hear it.

1 Like

Do the SuperTraps have to be at the back of the system? Are glasspacks obnoxious around town?

I’m debating options to replace the stock mufflers in my mk2 with a 4.2 for some more rumble. It’s almost silent right now.

As someone who lives near the start of a twisty section of road I can answer that for you. Yes, glasspacks are obnoxious around town, as are loud motorcycles and diesel trucks driven by yahoos. In my opinion the beautiful car draws enough attention on its own and loud exhaust is somewhat antisocial. Apologies in advance to those who are offended by this opinion.

3 Likes