Air cleaner recommendation

I have finished retrofitting my 1970 series 2 by sleeving the intake manifold and installing 2 HD8’s from a M10 on it. Getting a working choke took some fabrication work.
The throat spacing is 8.2". The car is apart so I have no way to measure clearances at the moment.
Can anyone recommend aftermarket air cleaners that will fit and not foul the bonnet?
Thanks

I think you’ll have to fab up something, to accept some extant oval paper filter: one that comes to mind is the one for 240/260/280 Datsun Zs.

I know you specified aftermarket, but I have to ask. Why not use the stock system? IIRC it’s a pretty free flowing system.

That said, there are these.

https://xks.com/i-6917521-su-hd8-carburetor-pancake-air-filters-co-8484.html

And if you google SU HD8 pan cake air filters you get a lot of hits.

I considered the stock system, and would use it but it’s the wrong intake diameter 1.75" vs. 2" and I will need to cut a bunch of spot welds as there are mini ram shapes welded inside. On second thought I might just rework it and see how it goes.

I’ve no idea how well these would clean up or if they would fit. The price is right.

Aftermarket K&N filters like these fit fine on my triple SU carbs with no clearance issues. You can find them online or contact a K&N dealer for more info. They’re not cheap but you only need a pair instead of three. :grinning:

WWAYAN, If I may…
My buddie and I had series 2’s for close to 30 years.
I went triples as he did, I stuck with a series 1 set up.
He wanted a series 2 look.
This might sound crazy but he used the SERIES 2 CLEANER, cut out the back to the strombergs
traced out the carbs to a flat pieceof metal opened the holes and welded that to the original air cleaner box.
It looked completely series 2!
If you take your time it can come out flawless.
If that’s not your thing go trumpets or the mesh mushrooms.
Its your car enjoy!
GTJOEY1314

Air Cleaners!? We don’t need no stinken air cleaners!

1 Like

Long lasting engine.? We don’t need no stinkin’ long lasting engine!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

One carb setup for improved fuel economy ? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think he’s going to have a little trouble setting the idle… :crazy_face:
Cheers,
LLynn

Hi rev tuner!
Haaaaaa

I figured I’d get better fuel economy AND not have to fight synchronized multiple carbs!! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

Hi Bill, I did a similar swap years ago, but I went with the triples. Same problem came up, even with the 3 SU’s. And since I didn’t care for the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner look on my conversion I made up a template of the carb throats and gave it to a local stainless fab shop. They came up with the following. It uses several layers of fiberglass filter material which is disposable and replaceable. best regards, Brian / MytypeJag%20xke%20pictures%20004|666x500 )

1 Like

That looks well executed.

Very nicely done. It looks like an air filter element from the S3 would fit.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/us/#!/English/parts/ea6629cd-c977-4ad1-a0c2-60ccde82ada8