Air compressor connector connects to air?

Hello,
Various wires come from the air compressor. I currently do not know what they do. The wire from the rear centre of the compressor (green arrow) joins a connector, but then doesn’t seem to connect to anything (red arrow). I would quite like to remove all of the AC system, but not at the moment. You might get 2 days a year in the UK when you need it, so it is really just a very heavy paperweight most of the time.

Your red arrow is pointing at a thermal limiter fuse which is connected to the superheat switch at the back of the A/C compressor. If the fuse blows, then the system will shut down to protect itself. Sometimes would blow for no reason at all. Fitted to 70’s and early 80’s cars.

Neil,
I agree with Dave about the wiring, but is looks like the thermal fuse was removed from your car and bypassed with some jumper wires, although I am not certain of that.
Do you have a copy of the XJ-S Repair Operations Manual or Parts Catalogue? Over the past 20 years of Jaguar ownership I have found these documents invaluable in answering simple questions about what the components are and how to repair things when they fail. I highly recommend them to anyone who plans to work on their XJ-S.

Paul

Please note that the AC is an integral part of cooling your returning fuel. This prevents vapour blocks. I’m not sure if this is a problem in cool climates but it can be a problem in warmer climes.

Paul, you are right. I should have said “That is where the thermal fuse should be located.” I have no idea what that bodge is, or why it would be connected to the superheat switch.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’m still not sure what the correct wiring should be, but I will keep digging. The current wiring definitely look like a bodge !

Many thanks

Thankyou very much

Much appreciated