Air pipe flap actuator

This one looks good too.

Looks like there are a number of different ones. Chances are that you could pick up a working one for a few dollars if you have a pick-a-part type wrecking yard nearby. That way you could stroll through and look for one with the exact dimensions of the jag one.

1 Like

I cut open that vacuum operated heater control valve this afternoon and as suspected the rubber diaphragm was torn. The attached pictures show what I found when I cut it open with a cutting wheel in my dremel. The rubber diaphragm was very thin, fragile, and torn.

This heater control valve has a similar construction with a rubber diaphragm to the vacuum actuator in this email string. It is quite possible that it also failed due to a torn rubber diaphragm.

Paul

1 Like

Paul

This is very interesting.
Do you think it would then be possible to replace the diaphragm membrane with a sheet of say neoprene, and then glue+ rivet all back together?

Eric,
The heater control valve diaphragm had a molded shape to it, but others actuators that I disassembled were just a flat sheet of rubber. I donā€™t see why some vacuum actuators couldnā€™t be repaired. If the one you have has failed then you have nothing to lose by trying. Of course you will need to make sure it will hold vacuum when you are done so some thought needs to go into how to open it up and how to seal it after you replace the diaphragm.

Paul

1 Like

For reference, the outside diameter of the original part is 3in.

Eric,
What is the Jaguar part number for that vacuum valve? Maybe Jaguar used the same valve in other models or on other systems making a replacement one easier to source.

Paul

Maybe a mechanic like GJ Drivelines can help? Their expert mechanics are approachable with this kind of problems! https://gjdrivelines.com.au
Good luck on finding solutions!

There is a number stamped on it:

10A5 80600

A web search for this yielded nothing.

I am going to visit an old style independent car parts store and see what they say.

No junk yard anywhere close in the ocean of suburbiaā€¦

Went to the local shop, did not have anything in stock, could only order what I could also find on online.

I will put this sub-project on the back burner for now.

Just to update and close this thread and to help others, I have found it.
It is a ā€œBorg Warner air cleaner vacuum actuatorā€ used on Pontiacs, Chevrolets, GM cars all through the 70s etc.
Costs about $25-30

s-l640

2 Likes

Thanks Eric,

not enough of these closed loops - most threads contain a wealth of information, but fail to lead to an end useful for future listers as regards the original question and its final answer. Iā€™m sure your info will come in handy for me at some stage as Iā€™ve got the same mechanism on my car. BTW, how did you happen to find out that the actuator was shot?

Best wishes

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I took the whole thing apart for powder coating and simply sucked on the pipe: air was going through and there was no movement of the lever. The membrane must be porous.

Sure makes sense. I might try to do this next time I get to the car.

Actually, after rust-proofing and painting the front cross member I also found the air filter body a bit shabby and thought about some kind of repaint, but then didnā€™t want to lose that original Duckhamā€™s decal for the lubricants. Maybe rather a careful touch up is warranted ā€¦

Best

Jochen

I simply made and printed copies on adhesive vinyl.
Here is one of the early trials (a couple of defects) on a painted (not powder-coated) air box.
If you have a computer, you can do the same, Google Slides or PowerPoint, then print a bunch of them on adhesive.
They fade after a few years but they look neat.

I simply bought one for Ā£3 or so. In fact, I bought two. If yours is black on silver, thatā€™s not easy to print.

Indeed. Thatā€™s what I would have thought as well. And yet, Ericā€™s decal looks gorgeous. Maybe the result depends a lot on the carrier you print on.

Will keep thinking about it ā€¦

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I just used a good quality color laser printer (free at work :wink: ).

If you ditch this actuator, do you need to adjust the carbs a hair richer because theyā€™re running on cooler air?