Aircon for Series 2?

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know if it’s possible (well, anything’s possible, but I mean fairly easily) to modify the S2 XJ6 for aircon? Unlike the S3, aircon was only an option. Is the heater matrix the same, other than missing the evaporator, or a completely different unit? Otherwise, presumably the rest could just be S3 stuff, with maybe a more modern compressor ?

Thanks,

Anthony

There are companies out there that do custom add-on air conditioning installations. “Classic Air” perhaps? Or some such. Others will chime in.

Or…

You could find a donor car with A/C and swap everything over to your car. A big undertaking but it should be doable. Both the Series II and Series III XJ6 used the Delanair MkII Climate Control system…as did the V12 cars until mid-86 or so. You’d have no problem finding a donor and the MkII system was almost unchanged for all those years.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Anthony,
I sold an entire Delanair MK II Climate Control System from my 1987 XJ6 parts car to someone in a distant country who is doing exactly that. He is taking a Series II XJ6 that was never equipped with air conditioning and adding a Series III climate control system with heat and air conditioning. Of course he had to remove pretty much the entire dash to get the old heater only equipment out and install the replacement unit with the heater matrix and A/C evaporator. He is still working on the restoration so it is not working yet. In his case price does not appear to be an issue.

Paul

1 Like

In Australia, at least for Series 1 cars we didn’t get the fully Integrated system but a “cut and shut” aftermarket (Smiths) thing hidden behind crappy panels that covered the work. The sun and heat here warped the vents and housings like bananas.
I bought a kit of modern equipment (including a Sanden rotary compressor) and replaced all the original kit in our Series 1. Can post photos if this way is of interest. Paul.

1 Like

The Series I started out with the AC in the boot before it got integrated but the Delanair Mk 2 with ac is definitely the way to go via a donor car. S2/3 will both work. Late model XJ (90-92?) had the Delanair Mk 3 that is way different. Lots of work, no question about it, but it will fit and work as if factory and if that isn’t desirable I don’t know.

1 Like

Many thanks, everyone, so looks as though it’s possible with some work. Just remembered I actually have a Delanair unit out of a Slll, so I’ll have a good look at that.

Is it possible to use a more efficient modern compressor? Those old Harrison ones weigh a ton, although they always seem to work well.

I don’t see why not. Our S1 had a York, a big piston job also very heavy. I replaced it with a Sanden rotary - light and efficient. I adapted the York mounting bracket to fit up the Sanden. Can send a picture later today. Paul.

When compressor went out on my '87 series 3, I replaced it with a ‘Four Seasons’ one. Shop fabricated a different bracket to hold the air pump above compressor so it would clear it. New compressor weighs half the old one, and runs smooth & quiet.

My '74 XJ12 S2 has factory air. GM compressor same as Cadillac and others.

I once had to take the heater core out to have it cleaned, and I had to disassemble pretty much the whole dashboard to get it out and in, took me a week.

Thanks, Paul, sounds good !

Yes, that looks exactly the same, Rob, got a couple lying around but don’t know if they still work. Wonder if there’s any way to test them on the bench? Yes, it would probably be a good idea to renew the heater rad and the evaporator before putting it all back in !

What’s the air pump, CHB ? Maybe an emissions thing we don’t have on home market cars ?

Yes, I believe this was an item fitted on US market cars. This should make it easier for you to install a Four Seasons brand compressor on your car

That’s the famous A-6 compressor, called a Harrison in Jaguar parlance. Available anywhere, but of note there’s some company that makes one entirely out of aluminum – weighs less and looks nicer.

Here’s my Series 1, with Sanden rotary compressor. FWIW. Paul.

1 Like

Sounds like it could be Four Seasons

Belated thanks, Paul and CHB !