AJ16 Camcover Gasket

I replaced the camcover gasket (and six spark plug rings, as well as the 13 boots that go in the bolt holes) and I had a hell of a time keeping the gasket in place as it seemed like it was about 1/2" too long! I used enough Hylomar AF to help keep it in place (barely) but managed to snug it in place.

I did not get my gasket from the Jag Dealer, should I? Has anyone else recently replaced their gasket with similar issues?

Thanks.

Have heard that its best to use OEM cam cover gaskets.

I had exactly the same issue - didn’t even bother to try and fit it - sent it back as “not fit for purpose” for a refund and got the genuine OEM article - a perfect fit.

Frankie

Dammit. That’s a $69 gasket at the dealer…which I just purchased.

I also ordered six of the $6 spark plug gaskets…is that a recommended OEM item as well?

Thanks for the help.

Its the old chestnut of OEM v aftermarket. Both sources should be perfect in all respects but aftermarket come in for (sometimes very justified) criticism.

For my AJ16 (in a facelift XJS) I used the OEM cover gasket but aftermarket bolt seals and plug seals. Leak free so far!

If you find dealer prices high, try someone like SNGB. Their cover gasket NBC2525AA is £48 inc tax (don’t know how that translates into dollars at the current exchange rate). Compare that price with their aftermarket cover gasket at £13 and you see why the OEM part may be better!

Frankie

With shipping, SNG is still a few dollars less. Thank you for the suggestion. I did order through a dealer yesterday, and it’s in.

I will inspect and compare in the future. Right now I’m leaving the aftermarket on while I get a spare camcover refurbished (in the UK no less!). I’ll use the OEM when I swap out camcovers going forward.

Thanks again! I promise to return and share feedback…on both the refinishing and the gaskets!

I had the same issue, returned it and bent over at the Jaguar Dealer and picked up the OE gasket. And the cam cover still leaked. ended up taking it off (for the third time) and ran a straight edge over the mating surfaces on the cam cover to discover the cam cover was warped. Ended up replacing the cam covers $664.00 later. The bonus is it came with gaskets. so now I have an extra set, and cam covers that don’t leak;

$664. ? wouldn’t it have been cheaper to have it milled at a machine shop. I used an after market gasket, and it would glue in place, used 3M gasket adhesive and left it overnight with a few screws and spring clamps. it worked, but less than ideal.

1 Like

Mine are ‎some sort of fiber (glass probably) reinforced plastic, i figured they’d just chip or crack

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network.

Just to circle back.

I sent URO an email letting them know about their gasket size, and they were kind enough to actually read my email and confirm that it wasn’t them! They do not (currently) make NBC2525AA, even though they do make the spark plug seals (NBC2579AA) and the bolt boot gaskets (NBC2575CA).

Eurospare is the manufacturer of the aftermarket gasket. I will be avoiding them in the future…