AJ16 reprogram TPS, Fuel Trims, IDS 118.5 help, error [4.2]

I have a late 95 XJS and need help resetting the new TPS and the fuel trims so I can smog my car in California. I spoke with a friendly Sheriff a couple of weeks ago, and got away with just a warning (for now). Even though I have paid my registration, they can tow my car away for not completing the smog within 6 months :frowning:

I must be doing something wrong here, but havenā€™t figured out what.

I have an old laptop with a clean install of XP Pro SP3. It has no internet connection. I have set the clock to August 3 2009, and then installed IDS 118.5 issued 07/2009 Part No. JLR 11 22_97 18.5E

I am getting the following error messages:

When I re-boot XP Pro
SoftwareManager.exe Application Error The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click on OK to terminate the application

When I open IDS, it insists on looking for an update, but cannot establish communication

When I try to reset the TPS or Fuel Trims: An error occurred during module reprogramming, as IDS attempts to establish communication with the engine control module Error [4-2]

Iā€™m not convinced that anything other than a PDU can reset trims. I believe those trims are simply a math equation though.

Can you tell me what you LTFTs are?

The IDS, or SDS will let you get to a menu option to reset trims, but will need a tailpipe sniffer to make the adjustment. It will ask you for specific amounts of exhaust gasses.

The PDU just has you click a button to reset it.

It really shouldnā€™t be the cause of any problems though. It simply a tool to help diagnose.

I had issues with my trims being consistently being 10% off on both banks. (both high) After throwing a ton of parts at it, a new TPS solved the issue, even though it seemed to be operating fine and was bench tested successfully.

You will need to install some .NET framework version. Probably 4.0 should be fine. Put your machine on the internet prior to installing IDS and download. You might be able to find an offline installer which you can then move to your machine with a USB pen drive.

With regard to IDS/SDD installation, you will probably need to read on other forums (try jaguarforums.com as a first start). Searching the XJ-S section revealed this (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/need-help-ids-vcm-224026/). You may want to read on other IDS/SDD related threads, too. You can disable the update warnings and such, but you need to do that prior to the first start of IDS, afaik.

(I was wrong here).

1 Like

I have done the same, the latest me part needing the TOS. How did you reset the ECU for the new TPS?

I am sorry, I canā€™t help you with the AJ16 - I donā€™t have experience with that type of engine setup. I only own an AJ6 car (no obd2) and an XJ12 (no obd2 either). And some limited experience with SDD software on other cars.

You may want to talk to people with X300 Jaguar cars with the AJ16 engine. On the X300 section or jaguarforums.

Good luck

I have a 1996 XJS with the AJ16 engine.

I own both the PDU and a WDS, which runs SDS, not IDS for this engine. (The WDS has IDS but it defaults down to SDS when it realizes its working on my car, apparently, IDS was never designed to work with the AJ16?)

I have successfully reset the TPS using both the WDS and PDU.

I would try using a VIN number from a 1996 model year. I believe it has been confirmed that, at least for some 1995 cars, you will not get the reset TPS option with 95 VINs.

Try SAJNX2748TC225566

Going back to the crux of your original post, you need to reset the TPS because the idle is high? I donā€™t know if it will affect anything related to your smogā€¦do you have any issues with the car?

I am using vin -222758ā€¦I will try with a later (225xxx) VIN

I am using the correct Champion spark plugs.

The car is running rich, and the sniffer smog test confirms it is too rich.

I recently replaced the TPS, and I understand that the ECU must be reprogrammed for the new TPS

Advise about entering a later VIN is good.

You need to configure your laptop correctly.

I tried to upload a .pdf but it will not accept.

I will try to copy/paste.

***Installation of JLR IDS V118.5 (last version before SDD)

VERSION ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH VCM INTERFACE, NO MONGOOSE OR OTHER J2354

V118.5 is for vehicles built until May 2009 (Jag from 1995, Land Rover from 2005)

Windows XP Pro or Windows 7 Pro, must be 32-bit
Fresh clean install recommended
Must have Program Files directory (non-English language OS may have different name)
Can not be installed on the same Windows as other JLR IDS/SDD program
Can not be installed on the same Windows as Ford or Mazda IDS, or Honda HDS

Install IDS: setup.exe from the IDS folder
Install SPA: setup.exe from SPA folder (SPA is only needed if you have a VMM)

Enter a UK dealership when prompted on first startup (or JLR factory details)
(I used the Jaguar Dealer I worked at (Autobahn Motorcars, Fort Worth, TX))

Disable SoftwareManager to prevent updating:

C:/Program Files/JLR/IDS/Runtime the file is SoftwareManager

End the SoftwareManager process with Task Manager (Alt-Ctrl-Del)
And then rename the SoftwareManager to something else (put a 2 on the end)
This will prevent the SoftwareManager from starting in future

To add the Aston Martin VIN Entry option:

:/Program Files/JLR/IDS/Html

Replace the file vin_entry.htm with the new verson
(keep old version if you want to go back)***

bob

What is your idle rpm right now? Warm engine

Thanks for the details. I will rename the softwaremanager tonight and keep trying

Idle is perfect. Not even a slight dip every ~30 seconds.

That was not always the case; when I bought it it was very very high.

I found a guy with a PDU to reprogram it. He is gone now, and Iā€™m on my own

You may not need a reset. The reset recoordinates the top and bottom end of the throttle with the car.

If your warm idle is about 580, the problem may be elsewhere.

1 Like

I renamed the softwaremanager by adding

_disabled

and rebooted, but Iā€™m still getting the error message that a newer version is available.

Any ideas for how to get my copy of 118.5 working?

The idle, when fully warmed up, in drive is steady at 575

Itā€™s possible that your BIOS also keeps a date and time in itā€¦ and THAT date and time do not necessarily have to match the OS date and time. IF the software is date/time sensitive, then the BIOS may be where you have to make sure the date/time is within what the software will be happy with.

I assume you resolved your error? As was stated above, that error code is associated with a corrupt net framework. Youā€™ll need one that works with Win XP. As noted V4 is probably new enough. https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet-framework

Your idle seems fineā€¦ no need to reset it. Thereā€™s another issue causing richness. Clean your temperature sensor connection. Make sure there are NO leaks between the MAF and throttle body. O2 sensors are usually OK, but the could have gotten slow to respond.

Paul Kobres

I never said I need to reset the idle; the idle is perfect. The fuel trims are highā€¦I replaced the TPS, but (of course) the fuel tims are still high. I know this because of the way it runs, the fuel smell, and because of the failed smog test.

I need to configure the new TPS, and reset the fuel trims.

I CANā€™T get 118.5 (July 2009) to work. It keeps saying

VCM Software Update
A newer version of the VCM software is availableā€¦

I have:
A clean install of XP Pro
Turned off all windows firewalls, and automatic updates
reset my clock to August 2009
Renamed the softwaremanager files

Any other ideas?

I understand that youā€™ve gone down to the clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen in the OS and set it back to 2009, what Iā€™m asking is if youā€™ve used F10, F12, Del (or whatever your key is to enter the BIOS) at startup and double checked that the hardware clock on the base metal of the system ALSO set itself back to 2009. Sometimes this doesnā€™t happen. Clever software checks THAT clock rather than the Operating System Clock. I donā€™t know if the IDA is doing that or not, but itā€™s possible. I used to work with a special expiring software disk for fixing OS problems/viruses that did just that. And you always had to set the BIOS clock (not the OS clock) in order to use an old version.

If thatā€™s not itā€¦ IDK. Sorry.

The LTFT is a simple math equation. If the issue is fixed, you should see a decline in your LTFT after no more than a week of daily driving. I had LTFTs pegged at +10.2 forever, until I swapped out the TPS. In a few days, it started to go down. After a few weeks it was at 0.

Resetting the trims is really more of a diagnostic tool than providing any meaningful function. Set it to zero, drive it and see if the LTFTs go back up. Reset it again after attempting a repair and repeat.

Trust me, I thought it was going to save my day. It didnā€™t. At least not for the 96

1 Like

The laptop Iā€™m using does not have a clock in the bios.

I also replaced my TPS, and I believe I need to configure the new TPS using the VCM.

I was able to update the VCM by pointing it to the IDS sdd disc; there were about a dozen zip files unstaffed on the VCM from the disc,

but Iā€™m still getting the same message that the VCM needs to be updated, and itā€™s never is able to establish communication

Not configure, just reset, and only if the new TPS is creating idle issues, which I donā€™t believe it is.

Basically your car came from the factory with the TPS set at 0.60v at idle. Letā€™s say that over time the plastic gets a little stretched out over time and as the years press on, the TPS is now at 0.55v at idle. Itā€™s a fraction of an inch difference, but your car will learn that over time.

Now the TPS finally takes a dump and needs to be replaced. The new TPS is screwed into place and is giving off 0.62v at idle. Now you have a high idle. Over time the car (supposedly) will adjust, it will just take a while. However, if you have a WDS or PDU, you can ā€œresetā€ the TPSā€¦except what youā€™re really doing is resetting with the car will accept as the new base idle voltageā€¦0.62v!

So you see, thereā€™s no configuration.

You can actually do this manually. If you take your TPS off, use a drill bit to enlarge the colt holes, just a little bit, you can then snug the bolts up against the TPS back on to the throttle body. With the car on, you should be able to slightly adjust the TPS, until your idle (hot) is in the 580rpm area. Then tighten down the bolts, locking the TPS in place!

If youā€™re hot idle is already at 580rpm, the TPS is fine and nothing needs to be reset.

My VCM appears to a clone; it wouldnā€™t update or establish communications.

I just bought an original VCM1, and it works.

The problem was with the clone, not the XP PRO laptop, or the laptop date vs possible bios date (I set the date for 1 month after XP Pro service pack 3 was released).

I will read everything I can about the VCM, and start a new thread with specific questions.

Thanks for all your input