AJ6/16 to 265/290 questions

Hello,
I am usually on the Saloons forum but I have a AJ6/16 related question.
I posted this on the XKS forum but thought it may be a good idea to put it up here as well. If anyone can help I would be grateful!
I have a 265 bellhousing, flywheel & adapter plate.
From what I can tell, the adapter plate (what would be a flat steel plate on an XK engine, but is instead about 2.5" thick cast aluminum) will fit any AJ6 or AJ16 engine, is this correct?
I am wanting to mate the adapter plate to a Getrag 290 transmission, do the 265 & the 290 use the same adapter plate?
Lastly, I have the 265 stock flywheel (seems a good compromise between the heavy dual mass unit and the light aluminum unit). Will this work with the 265 adapter plate 290 transmission combination?
Thanks in advance!

Here’s what I know, which may or may not be relevant as I don’t fully understand your descriptions.

Unlike the XK block, the AJ6/AJ16 don’t have a large bell housing flange as part of the main casting. The AJ6 cast adapter plate has a rectangular hole and ‘dry’ bolts to the block around a separate rear crank seal housing. The AJ16 adapter has a round hole carrying the crank seal and is therefore a ‘wet’ joint and AFAIK the two are not interchangeable. They do have the same bell bolt pattern on all normally aspirated sixes -auto or manual - except the XJR which has the GM4L80E bolt pattern. So unlike the others, if you want to fit a Getrag to an XJR you need a N/A AJ16 adapter plate. Apart from that, any AJ engine with the ZF auto will be able to mate to a 265 or 290 assembly, as the main practical difference between Jag 265/290 is the latter has a non-detachable bell.

AFAIK the flywheels and starter will interchange although the twin mass is so different-looking and hugely heavier that I may be wrong. I imagine the clutches are different due to the reduced space left behind the deeper twin mass in the same bell housing.

I have manual X300 pedal boxes, shifter console, adapter plates, starter, flywheel, clutch, master and slaves that I will never use…

Thank you for the information! It confirms much of what I suspected.

It explains the automatic adapter plate from an AJ16 that fits the Getrag 265 bellhousing, that is from a ZF auto box!

When you mention the adapter plate from a “normally aspirated” engine, does that mean the SuperCharged version differ in the bolt pattern on the back of the engine block? I was thinking the engine block back side is the same shape / bolt pattern (other than "dry seal AJ6 / wet seal AJ16 aspect)

I am interested in several of the parts you mention, pedal box and more.
Do you know what size bore the clutch M/S has?

Thanks again,

Niels

Thank you for the information! It confirms much of what I suspected.
It explains the automatic adapter plate from an AJ16 that fits the Getrag 265 bellhousing, that is from a ZF auto box!
When you mention the adapter plate from a “normally aspirated” engine, does that mean the SuperCharged version differ in the bolt pattern on the back of the engine block? I was thinking the engine block back side is the same shape / bolt pattern (other than "dry seal AJ6 / wet seal AJ16 aspect)
I am interested in the parts you mention, where are you located?

Thanks again,
Niels

All the AJ6 & 16 adapters use the same bell bolt psttern for auto or manual. I think Getrag is a division of ZF so they used the same for both Jag options.

The only exception is the XJR, which used the AJ16 oil seal type adapter but with the bell pattern for the stronger GM 4L80E auto also used on the 6.0L V12.

So if you want to fit a Jag Getrag manual box to an XJR, you first need to fit the AJ16 normally-aspirated adapter plate. I once had a 94 manual XJR and it was excellent. With a limited-slip it was a good snow car and the crude traction control was less intrusive by being needed less often.

Thanks again!
I am interested in the parts you mentioned, if you would let me know what you want for them and possibly send some pictures that would be great.
My email is nielsk at bellsouth dot net
Sorry about the double reply, I had replied by email, then on the forum as I figured the email may not work for a PM. Looks like it does!

I’m sending you a PM Niels. I looked at the clutch master and without dismantling it looks like about 18 mm (it will be metric for sure) . It will match the slave and clutch anyhow, as they are genuine Jag dealer parts.

I am interested in the parts, I do have the adapter plates & flywheel and the center console would not apply, but pretty much everything else.
Is the pedal box left hand drive?
I don’t suppose you have any Getrags?
My email is:
nielsk at bellsouth dot net

Thanks,
Niels