Alternative wheels for 84 XJS

looking to upgrade worn Michelin Primacy tyres 225.55R16 on Performance old school mags to 17 x 7 rims with more of a star pattern similar to XJ13 rims. What other marques have the same 5 stud pattern. I believe I need 5/120.6.

I think BMW and if in Australia Holden have that bolt pattern?

The 5 stud pattern is common, the offset is not. Youā€™ll need to shop carefully to find non-Jaguar wheels that will locate properly in the wheel wells.

Additionally, the Jag hubs require a larger-than-typical center hole. I think some BMW wheels have a large enough center hole but I donā€™t know which ones specifically.

I once had a machine shop enlarge the center holes on a set of aftermarket wheels for my Jag. Easy. But, might not be possible in every case.

Cheers
DD

My understanding is that the XJS wheels are hub-centric (centered by the center hole, not by the wheel lugs)ā€¦ http://www.bernardembden.com/xjs/rimtire/index.htm

ALL OEM wheels are hub-centric. Only the very worst aftermarket garbage is located by the lugs.

Agreed, but the originator of this thread is asking about wheels from other marques that have the same stud pattern; I was trying to point out that the bolt pattern is a secondary issue, the hub is the primary issue. The XJS bolt pattern matches GM wheels from the 50ā€™s and 60ā€™s, but the hub is different; I think later model (1997 to 2007) XK wheels do have the same hub, but the offset may be different and could cause tie-rod interference for XJS front wheels (as could wider wheels).

Here is another good reference on wheel fitment: https://www.lawheel.com/wp/category/fitment/

Best case would be for some responders to say what actually worked for them (I still use my original wheels).

Thanks for input folks. WayneC1 has nailed it, Iā€™d prefer not to reinvent the proverbial ā€œwheelā€ and prefer to take advice from real world experience.
Surely after all the years the XJS has been around, the number of adjusted race cars and boofheads like myself seeking a trickier car, someone has actually upgraded successfully. Iā€™m all ears. Many thanks. Yes, Iā€™m in Australia. Cheers, Dan.

only a handful of wheels were made without a center bore for hub. I bore too small can easily be bored larger at any machine shop. a larger bore is easier yet. hub centric rings are available in almost any size and dirt cheap. I paid $6.00 shipped free for a set of 4!

The convertible was bought 9 years ago with a set of wheels fitted by the PO claimed to be from a BMW.
They look OK, although the wheel nuts do not engage all the thread on the studs, a slight mismatch.
Maybe the PO got the wheels at a bargain price, otherwise you could find a set of updated Jaguar wheels.

Went through this with our E-type. A very inventive hot rodder took an axle from a Chevy, fitted a guide in each stud hole and used a valve grinding cutter to move the holes just a tiny bit to match the BMW bolt spacing. This opens up a world of BMW wheels. Unfortunately not all have the right hub hole, but many have an offset that works for Jaguars, which are kind of ā€œfront driveā€ type. I think for Jaguars the ones that are closest to a ā€˜bolt onā€™ are some 5-series from the '80ā€™s - while others can be bored, as suggested.
When the cutter moves the holes the taper is deeper, of course, but the change is minimal.
This isnā€™t a trivial set up as the guide needs to match the cutter guide bore and the whole assembly must be fixtured.
We have ā€œSuperliteā€ minilite clones which were originally made in Australia, now VTO imports them from China. They are for 5 bolt, 15 inch shod Corvairs!!

The 17 inch XJR6 rims will fit.

My 84 came to me w/ bolt on wire wheels. I promptly swapped them for a set of starfish XJ-S rims to match the spare in the trunk. True, it limits you to 15 inch rims. But I do like the look.
Harry Price, 1984 XJ-SC 3.6/five speed

Iā€™ve had the Australian Super Lites on my E for over ten years and the bolt pattern, 5 on 4.75, was standard on most mid sized Chevies for many years.
Bob

The ā€œCorvairā€ or Superlite (now VTO) wheels are nearly the only ā€œChevyā€ wheels which have enough positive offset - which is, if I recall, about ~23 mm plus. The American 5 spokes and the like for vintage Chevies and Corvettes normally donā€™t have enough positive offset. For a series I E-type the + 23 (or so) is for a 6 inch rim. Donā€™t know if a wider rim will fit at this offset. Unlike the E-types, I saw an XJ-S post somewhere that showed the clearance up in the rear wheel well with some aftermarket stuff.

BMW is 5x120 mm. Jaguar (and Chevy) is 5x4.75 inch, which is very close, 5x120.7 mm.
Some may say less than a 1 mm doesnā€™t matter, but this is an application where it may matter the most.

As others pointed out already, the Jaguar hub limits the choices severely. Bore size for GM wheels is 70.3 mm, while the Jaguar calls for 74.1 mm.
Unless the wheels are aftermarket and have larger bore size that requires an adaptor, no standard OE wheel will fit.

To me, the best approach to larger wheels for the XJS is the Revolver 17x8 from the early XK8:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/v.htm?1428199053

Well, if thereā€™s enough meat perhaps you could have a machine shop open it up. And if thereā€™s lots of meat, perhaps you could have them cut the mounting surface back to get you the offset you need.

If you get the center bore right, I wouldnā€™t worry that much about the 120 vs. 120.7 hole pattern. In fact, if youā€™ve got the thing at a machine shop anyway, you might even go ahead and elongate the lug holes by that much.

All above is true. Iā€™d do it in a heartbeat but the machine shop rates in my area are prohibitively expensive. I will be looking at adding at least $100 per wheel for enlarging the bore size and/or fixing the bolt pattern 5x120 to 5x4.75".
Not to mention that the Jag lug nuts are the Mag-wheel style while BMW uses (typically) cone-seat bolts and to do it right, one will have to invest in a set of those tooā€¦

At the same time, CL is full of ads for Jaguar wheels at bargain prices.

No, I wouldnā€™t do that. I wouldnā€™t tighten down a set of cone-style lug nuts on a circle that is 0.7mm off. Iā€™d drill the holes out and use the mag-wheel style lug nuts.

1 Like

Bought aftermarket 18 inch wheels for a late 80s Chevy Camaro. Canā€™t recall exact offset but as K describes, that fitment element posed the biggest challenge. Wheel shop bored hubs to correct Jag spec. for minimal $. Been good to go ever since. I will try and locate exact specs but it was done over 15 years ago. 1989 XJS