Alternator slow to kick in

The John’s Cars GMALT kit must relocate the alternator with the air pump I’m assuming. IDK I didn’t look or am familiar with it.

Thanx for the tip!

Condolences. I’ve not donned suit and tie for well over a decade! Not missed at all. I do note that an open collar seems fashionable for guys! Yipee.

No, as I recall, the Johnacars adapter allows the AC Delco alternator to bolt in in the location formerly occupied by the Lucas.

Locating an AC Delco in the air pump spot does work,.

Carl

I’m not too concerned about it cause changing alternators isn’t like changing oil. for most it’s a once in a lifetime affair. For me, 8 Jags, Lifetime? who’s life time? Definatly not mine. I’ve changed 3 alternators in 4 years. Granted 3 different cars. but still. Kinda like child birth (so I’m told). You don’t really remember how bad it hurts; but that it was a bit painful. Selective memory is a wonderful thing.

Thanx Carl!
Mark

The same applies to alternator belts, Carl…:slight_smile:

While a slipping alternator belt may squeal; the alternator has to work harder initially to recoup battery drain - and warming it up will reduce slip. Besides; with a charging malfunction; checking the al belt is so basic that we forgot to mention it…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

This may have already been mentioned but, if not…

Don’t forget to check the alternator output wire…the heavy gauge wire from the alternator to the “+” junction post on the firewall. Theses been known to be packed with corrosion, invisible under the insulation.

I myself was involved in a charging system mystery where this wire was the culprit.

Cheers
DD

Thank you all. I haven’t had the chance to look at anything yet as I ve been travelling but yes, my first steps will be to look at belt condition and tension, skinny wire and big wires connections.

I can’t help but think that it s going to be belt related as it s been so cold lately here that I could see how an issue with condition or tension could be worsened in cold weather.

Certainly worth a look. I always thought that belt slip was revealed by a squeal. But when I replaced my alternator a while back, I thought the new one was defective. Took it back, had it checked, was OK. I finally figured out that I hadn’t tightened the belt enough. Never any squeal, just slippage.

Belts: For sure. Lots going on there and a myriad of “fixes”.

1. In olden days, service stations sought to make more money at the gas pump. Twist the “V” belt. Only one in that era. Usually glazed and frayed. Sell a new one. Well, others said that was merely normal and that the new one would soon look the same. Function not lost. Or, the counter.
    why so many busted belts on the ways!!! Why was it wise to keep the worn one aboard?? emergency get home…

2. It isn’t merely the circumference of the belt. It should be sized correctly for the sheaves. It is the sides that make contact and move the pulleys, not the bottom. Riding too deep, slip is going to happen.

3. Too tight and bushings and bearings go out. Too loose and it gets glazed and slips even more.

4. Some counsel dressing to quiet a squeaky belt. No, say I and others,. Kinda like stop leak. OK, so it seems. But for a price. The belt will wear even faster. rubber and fabric detest oil.

A bar of hand soap against a moving belt is much better.

1. Our Jaguars are modern., but not so much. Belts doing a lot. Multiple belts do help.

2. the latest is the serpentine. Odd, huh? My T ford used one flat belt. full circle ! The serpentines do a better job than even multiple “V” belts.

3. Decades back, my 85 F150 howled like a banshee when the wheels were turned at sow speed. O’wise OK. Worse when the AC was on.
    One :“V” with a heavy work load. New belt finaly. All was now quiet…

4. A repeat. Tension means a lot…
    Carl