Aluminum or Stainless Expansion Tank?

Thanks John –
I did see those, and that brings up another question, do I really want a Uro? And I wonder if that’s what everybody’s selling anyway, even if they don’t say it’s a Uro?
Bob

1 Like

I was looking at those, specifically SUM-300118. I’d need to add an upper fitting.
Is there any baffling or weirdness inside the stock tank? Or is it just an upper and lower inlet/outlet?

My bet? yes, it is.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

There is nothing weird inside the OE tank. All you need is an inlet and outlet. I looked at the Summit tank. Wee bit big to fit on fender, and you do not need the 2Qt capacity.

It most certainly is an expansion tank: fill it to the brim, get it good and hot to demonstrate how it is.

Doesn’t the coolant level sensor mount into the side of the expansion?

Could drill an appropriate hole in a universal tank and push it in

1 Like

Paul, I know what the tank does for the cooling system. I think that calling it an “expansion” tank is a poor description. The “expanded” coolant merely passes through the tank and is expelled with air (hopefully ) into the plastic reservoir hidden from sight. As the engine cools, the “expanded” coolant is drawn back into the engine. Hopefully.

There is one, does not show on the photo. The spigots are not in the most convenient positions though.

It is 2 liters.

Bought it on in 2020 from a seller in China called Unionlinktech.

Was $29 + $10 shipping.

2 Likes

Dave, I am specifically referencing the S1/S2 tank, that has no plastic reservoir. I am talking about the expansion performance of that tank. Yes, coolant passes through it, but it most definitely it is there to act as an expansion tank.

Jaguar calls it an expansion tank in the parts catalogs. The hidden plastic tank is called the “atmospheric recovery tank”.

Adding to the confusion, I’ve seen different nomenclature used in the repair manuals at times…which isn’t all that unusual and not exclusive to Jaguar.

Some refer to it as a “header tank” which isn’t quite correct…but Jaguar does use header tanks in some applications.

Heh heh, I’m reminded of my days, long long ago, as a parts counterperson. Numerous different names for the same part. Sometimes the most widely accepted name simpy wasn’t correct…but you knew what the customer wanted. Other times you’d ask the customer to describe the appearance and location of xxx-widget to verify that you were on the same page.

The parts end of the business was the most fun by far. But, I digress.

Cheers
DD

1 Like

Ah, an “E” type. That’s way above my pay grade. That is certainly what I would call an “Expansion” tank.

1 Like

Yeah. My engine has an “Auxiliary Air Valve” and an “Extra Air Valve” and a “Supplementary Air Valve”. So far I have discovered two of them!

1 Like

I think Doug has explained better, with respect to the XJS. The plastic tank is not an expansion tank, per se. I think we’re just saying the same things with different vehicles!

Right. With that set of points then- do you want a new condenser, or a capacitor?

Well, obviously, the capacitor holds more capacity, while the condenser condenses things … would that make the capacitor an expansion to match the condenser? :nerd_face: :disguised_face: :cowboy_hat_face:

Stainless tanks were being produced I australia. They weren’t over priced. I got one about 12 years ago but can’t remember who from

Probably Capt Jaguars Cathouse. I don’t seem to find them on the interwebs.

1 Like

Look up my posts titled “Cathouse Spares in OZ” from 2020. Perhaps you’ll get lucky.

is this too big

That is precisely the header tank I used in my hot rod! Seems to have worked quite well.

1 Like