Ammeter xk 140 pegs out right

Voltage regulator replaced charging volts about 13,5 at 2000,Ammeter pegs to 30+ with fairly low idle.Needle deviates left with ignition on.Coil nor v regulator are hot.I can bring amps down to about 15 with the headlights on.The battery at rest is about 11.9 -12,2.Other functions seem to work well. Suggestions?? Would it be on to run it with the lights on.Do I need a battery? Thanks everyone Cecil Durham

1 Like

It sounds like you need a battery. If you are putting 13.5 volts across a battery it should pull nothing if it is charged. If yours pulls 30 A then it is bad. Also, a charged battery should show 13.5 V, not 12, so that is another indication of a bad battery. Turn on the lights with the engine off and measure the battery voltage. If it is about 10V then you have a shorted cell, which is a common failure mode.

Go to your FLAPS and ask them to do a load test on the battery, that should confirm if has a bad cell or two.

Cecil,

I guess it is because you toyed with the battery cutout setting. The battery is discharging through the generator.

I hope you marked the original settings with pencil!

Regards,
Clive.

Possibly but it’s back where it was but will ck again.The battery seems to drop overnight,doesn’t hold a charge so I’m thinking it may be the culprit.

I charged it overnight and if it charges fully will see what happens to the ammeter this am.will test the charge with 5he headlights.Thsnks

Hope to figure it out without that,Thanks

Clive just FYI its fine to reply to any/all posters in the one reply, there is also an edit function if you just want to add something/correct a post, just use the pen icon.