An actual real lightweight for sale

3 Likes

Zounds! Seven figures?
:face_with_spiral_eyes:

Eight. Any advance on eight? I’ll go further, eight Sterling. £10,000,000.

3 Likes

Looks like Lightweight #7, chassis 850664. Here is a short synopsis about it.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

The number 14 car was driven by Walt Hansgen and Augie Pabst. It lasted one hour, gearbox failure.

More details (and perhaps more accurate too) are here:

Not sure if you need an account with Bonhams to view it, as I logged on before checking.

That one has always been one of my favorites.

Looks like it did not sell!

On the other hand a couple of restored 3.8 OTS’s sold for over $200K although a barn find '62 did not. A '68 S1.5 OTS also exceeded $200k.

Looks like did not sell at $6.3 million. Go to about 3:15 point on this if you want to see.

David
68 E-type FHC

If I had that kinda ching… I’d get it, and take it out and thrash it!

1 Like

I hope this means that some billionaire guy will buy it eventually and take it to Goodwood occasionally and thrash it. Goodwood is a month away so maybe there is still time.

David
68 E-type FHC

1 Like

Looks to me like it sold when the hammer went down at 3:20:16 although auction results don’t indicate a selling price. Estimate might have been ambitious but if in new hands it may well get thrashed sooner rather than later. Minor patina on bonnet nose suggests it’s ready…

1 Like

I don’t think so, though I agree it can be confusing. The reserve wasn’t met. If you watch the auction of cars that did sell, you’ll hear the auctioneer using the phrase “selling at…” when describing the high bid, and once the car is sold he’ll also state the paddle number of the winning bidder. Indeed, he’ll start using the phrase “selling the car” or something similar as soon as the reserve is passed as a signal that the car will actually sell to the high bidder. For cars that don’t make the reserve he never uses the word “selling”, and doesn’t ask for or state the auction winner’s paddle number.

David,

Thanks and that explains lack of selling price. Very different world from BAT but interesting to watch live bidding. Helps to know exactly what is being said or unsaid.