An oil leak of one

Three days into my Cornish prehistoric tour.

Day 1. We left civilisation and headed for prehistory, or Cornwall as it is known to the English and Kernow to the locals. The weather was foul. Not tempests, but persistent drizzle for a good 100 miles. We stopped twice for comfort breaks in the 200 mile journey, both times having a quick dash into the public conveniences, while having coffee/lunch in the car. Home base for the next week is a small stone villa miles from anywhere. We drove 200 miles in just a shade over five hours Including stops.

Day 2. Collecting provisions for the stay. We arranged in advance to collect comestibles from a nearby supermarket, just turning up and loading the car with the groceries we had bought. No walking around isles in stores avoiding “other people” whist wearing a fetching surgical mask. Nope, just a two minute load up and off we went. We left the car at the villa in the afternoon and went for a walk to a nearby deserted beach.

Day 3. First trip to see Cornwall’s prehistory. Cornwall is littered with Stone Age and Bronze Age and Iron Age sites. We chose three to visit today, all quite close to each other, but otherwise unconnected.

The megalithic stone circle is called the Merry Maidens. It is the sort of Stone circle that Billy Connolly visits and feels the need to dance naked. I can resist the urge. Just a few yards away, on the side of the road is a burial chamber. The information board illustrates how concern for the protection of sites such as these is a relatively modern phenomenon. A previous generation built a road on top of part of the burial chamber!

Then we visited an Iron Age village, or the remains of it. Carn Euny was inhabited as recently as the 18th century.

We spent the rest of the day walking along part of the SouthWest Coastal Path, leaving the car in a carpark for others to admire.

A couple of times today I’ve felt the engine stutter. I knew what it was, HT ignition breakdown. This is a collateral effect of the underbody rust prevention system (oil leak from the front crank seal). An occasional drip finds its way onto the damper and gets flung up and onto the coil or onto the dizzie cap and plug wires.

So I took the cap and plug wires off to give them a good clean. The dizzie cap is quite recent, but the wires came with the car more than 65,000 miles ago. I have a spare set with me, just in case. And a cap and rotor arm.

10 Likes

I enjoy your posts - not only do I get a little history lesson, but I get to wander in the world of a different language! “Comestibles” - a new word for me!

In your tenth picture, is that an admiring passerby, waxing the bonnet for you!? :slightly_smiling_face:

RobY

Just my SWMBO. She lets me wax my own bonnet!

That certainly sounds like Oil leak weather to me.

The yellow E was me (melloyello). The cold weather cought me off guard and some where on that stretch had to stop and adjust. I had installed shutoff valves for heat/defrost and also put a cap on fresh air intake. With valves opened and cap removed I had heat/defrost again.
Even though the OIL Leak was cancelled this year I had a reservation outside of Yosemite that was non-refundable, so I plan on going for a two nighter.
Glenn

1 Like

There’s a fire there so you might check that out before you head there if anytime soon

You guys are better than me. My first E was a '66 that had spent its life in Corpus Christie TX apparently close to the water since it had badly rusted from the inside out. I think that one traumatized me so have done my best to never let me completely rust free '68 get in the wet.

David
68 E-type FHC

Thanks for the heads up, will look into it.
Glenn

Wet? This is from that same ('17) Oil Leak:

Days 4 to 6. Day 4 was a wash out. Grey skies over a grey sea, and mostly driving through grey mist. Days 5 and 6 were much better. Many if our planned visits to prehistoric sites have been made impossible by COViD restrictions. So we have been admiring the scenery a lot. We drove out to various spots on the Cornish coast for coastal walks. There is a designated path for walkers. Some of the walkways are challenging.
Check the first photo, one walker coming down the steps has had to come down on his arse. Another reversed down on all fours.

And some are almost impossible for those of a certain height.

The terrain is covered with large, seemingly randomly placed boulders, which gave rise to the legends of Giants in Cornwall. Two of them, Cormoran and Trecobben regularly threw rocks at each other. Cormoran used rocks to build St Michael’s Mount, getting his wife Cormelia to carry them! He borrowed a hammer from Trecobben and threw it to St Michael’s Mount, which hit his wife, killing her. Cormoran was eventually killed by Jack the Giant Killer. This legend was first published in 1711, and the story of Jack and the Beanstalk, was published a little later in 1734.

During this week we have left the car in some random places. Car parks, in hedges, in dusty tracks to hidden coves.

And we have used it as a Codiv compliant alternative to a coffee stop.

Usually, when we return we find a small crowd of admirers. Usually with a story about “my brother in law had one” or “I used to have one”. One or two knowledgeable admirers can tell its provenance as a well used car. Shopping trolley and car door bruises along the side are a dead giveaway. We answer questions with “since 2003”, or “1967”, or “over 200,000 miles”. Today’s question was, is it original paint?

No. Not after 53 years.

2 Likes

I can’t.

I just can’t, even given my nearly-irresistible smartarse gene.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If there’s a single Jaguar, on an Oil Leak… can anyone hear it leakng?

:nerd_face:

1 Like

Chris , Thanks for the adventure!
It feels good using the car!
I feel like an adventurer these days, driving my E at my OWN pace , hands on as the car is part of the trip not just a cargo vehicle transport.
Wonderful adventure , Thanks again!
Gtjoey1314