And so it begins. Restoration of 1975 XJC

Not much progress today, but at least no rust where it could have been expected. So it is a good day.

1 Like

You are doing so much hard work, I really think you will regret not pulling out the front and rear glass.

The glass will come off. Probably 2 weeks from now. Today I found space to store it all

3 Likes

The r/h sill is very nice all the way. What a relief.
Removing paint is a right royal pain, but doing upside down is just self-punishment.
I have already spent 150 hours on the body work
 can’t wait to have the have to whole thing towed away to the paint shop

2 Likes

A little more progress today, and these holes are now welded shut.

2 Likes

Ahhh 
 You want to do away with the “fins” behind the filler caps? Are they lost or do you just want to smoothen the body?

In fact they’re quite rare as not all models were equipped with them and I find them extremely attractive.

Keep on your labor of love - it all looks like you’re on a good way now

Jochen
75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

I like the elegance of the “fins”, but mine are marked “Unleaded fuel only”, which makes them undesirable to me. So off they go
 :slight_smile:

Hi,

My theory is that the fins first appeared because of the need for those ”unleaded fuel only” labels and thus almost no Daimlers had them.

Get a pair of Euro fins, they are smooth and chromed. :smiley:

Cheers!

Mine are marked Essence San Plume.

Even merde de chien sounds good in French. For dessert!

You probably mean “Essence sans plomb” :wink:

Or maybe his is from Quebec! :laughing:

Cheers!

2 Likes

Only Norton motorbikes are to be filled up with “essence avec plumes” to reduce vibrations.

Pekka, why wouldn’t Daimlers have the fins then?
Weren’t they exported to the US as well as Jaguars?

For some time I even thought the fins were a Daimler thing 
 More bling, more bucks:-)

Good luck
Jochen

2 Likes

Hi,

Nope, no ”brand value”. Unlike places like UK, NL, DK, SE with royal families, and places like Cologne and Bavaria.

Jaguar came up later with the branding ”Jaguar Vanden Plas” that was like a Daimler for ROW but sold only in North America. (S3, XJ40, X300).

Later ”Super Eight” which was again a Daimler variant of the XJR.

Cheers!

Sorry if this is digressing 

Pekka, I think it was much later than the advent of our SII cars that (then) Daimler-Benz and British Leyland made an agreement over the use of “Daimler” as a trademark for BL cars and from then on BL refrained from using “Daimler” on the North American market. Prior to that quite a number of Daimlers were sold in the US.

Actually, I just checked out that the parts catalogue specifies the fins for all SII XJ6 and Daimler Sovereign - either with the tag “for unleaded fuel” (but doesn’t specify VIN or markets for this equipment!) or - without the tag - for Belgium, France, Germany, Netherlands and Italy. That’s why my UK car doesn’t have it:-(

Another mystery solved

Jochen

Can anyone post photos of these, please? I’ve never heard of them.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks Eric, that was quick. I was totally unaware of the existance of these, never seen a photo, nor heard them mentioned. Learn something every day.

1 Like

Same here don’t like them.

2 Likes

Ditto. I presume we never got them here ( NZ) because we still had leaded fuel at that time.