And so it begins. Restoration of 1975 XJC

Some progress on the front suspension.

1 Like

Engine bay in primer, soon ready for base coat.

Google Photos

1 Like

Well, it took a while. Base coat and clear today.

2 Likes

Next, suspension assembly to go back in.

2 Likes

So pretty all fresh like that!

David

1 Like

Is that paint colour LDR (Regent grey)? Pretty!

1 Like

It is not a stock color. I wanted a metallic silver, medium. Went to Sherwin Williams and tried to make sense of the hundreds of shades of metallic silver :slight_smile: and finally just picked one in the middle of the range.

I am happy with what I got so far, we will see once it is cured and visible in reasonable lighting.

1 Like

Finally, the front suspension assembly is back in, the wheels are back on. Next weekend we will shift the car out of th way on the dollies and get started on reassembling the engine. Yeah!!

2 Likes

Eric,
Very nice work! It reminds me of the engine bay restoration.and engine swap that I was working on this time last year. Keep up the great work.

Paul

1 Like

Very slow progress today.

Hi Eric,

beautiful scenery! Just why did you put in that front cross brace before the engine - for decoration or orientation (I see you fixed only one bolt)?

Good progress

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

It is better sitting there than getting kicked around the workshop (and it motivates me :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

Many months later, the engine is now on a rig waiting to be mated to the John’s Quarterbreed kit and the refurbished TH700 transmission waiting in the background.

I just need to find the Quarterbreed assembly instructions (although it seems to be a pretty straight forward game of lego).

1 Like

Getting there…

1 Like

Walk around, almost ready, will crank it with no spark plugs next weekend, to check oil pressure, and then … VROOOM or … Crunch, crunch, crunch…

2 Likes

So today, I … cranked the engine with starter motor (plugs out) and confirmed that oil gets to the camshafts. One step closer to getting it started (next Saturday).

It seems to me though that the old Camaro starter motor is not up to the job.

Here is a video if the distributor. Does it not seem very slow?

… you know what, try with the plugs in and if it starts reliably I wouldn’t change it.

1 Like

A better view. Some wires to connect. I need to polish that heat shield.

3 Likes

Yeah and that coil could do with a bit of work :grinning: That’s a work of art. I’m jealous!

1 Like

Not much progress today. Only fiddling endlessly with the carburetors, AED, throttle controls…

I am concerned that the lubricating paste used by the folks who rebuilt the cylinderhead back in 2012 may have hardened (the cylinderhead stayed on my shelves all this time) and could now be blocking the oil passages in the bearings. I should have checked it all before closing the cam covers…

So next week I will open the cam covers and then remove the bearings caps one by one to check clean and oil.