Another BaT Record for a S1 4.2 OTS

This one went for a whopping $390k. Yikes! Wondering if the buyer will actually follow through.

I was/am wondering the same thing Tom, the jump from ~300K to 390K seemed a bit odd but maybe heā€™s an ā€˜Oil Sheikā€™?
Cheers,
LLynn

1 Like

After the reasons given for the absence of photos with the top down, and refusal to demonstrate the car would move under itā€™s own power, the bizarre bidding sequence seemed to be entirely in keeping with this fantasy auction. Probably not a data point to use as an indication of a trendā€¦

3 Likes

What happens if the highbidder fails? Does it go to the next highest? Could it be a ploy to stop the bidding? Get a friend to bid high to stop bidding so you have a chance at a lower number?
Tom

A good question. I think that is up to the seller to decide. BaT have already taken their cut (5% with a $5K cap) from the high bidderā€™s credit card, and are pretty much hands-off once the bidding is over. If the high bidder doesnā€™t complete the deal BaT ban them (though anyone can create a new identity), and I imagine that they help the seller out by providing them with contact details of the next highest bidder so they can choose to negotiate if they wish. Iā€™m aware of one auction that went this way when the high bidder defaulted. BaT also offers to re-run the auction in such circumstances (they rarely do this if the reserve is not met on the first auction), though in the case of this car Iā€™d be surprised if a rerun would come close to the high bid from yesterday.

No one overpays like a BaT buyer.

2 Likes

Maybe heā€™s this Rashid Kahlifia, member of Bahraini royal family.

Well, if he is, his money is green. And, as I understand, car collections for such royalty in the middle east are generally stationary. Thus, he may consider that since the top has never been down, and the ā€œnewā€ car hasnā€™t yet been broken in, he can claim huge bragging rights.

Plausible, but I would think members of a royal family would be discrete with how they buy things (using buyerā€™s agents, shell companies, etc.). Using his name as his user ID is anything but discrete. My bet is this is fraud. The same user bought a ā€˜63 Corvette today as well.

Maybe itā€™s the guy who won the last Mega Millions lottery drawing. :smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s not uncommon for people to spend that kind of money on a beautifully restored car ( not making comment on this particular car) ā€¦ā€¦ these types of cars never reach BAT or other selling mechananismsā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ they are generally commissioned and enjoyed or if sold , ā€¦ā€¦sell quietly by word of mouth for these kinds of prices and more , depending on rarity model etc

That was my thinking too. If this is a genuine bidder it seems more likely to me that Rashid Khalifa is a reference to the character of the same name in Salman Rushdieā€™s ā€œHaroun and the Sea of Storiesā€ childrenā€™s story.

1 Like