Another bonnet question: seams

I would have thought the brass clips would go one on either side of the bolt but, the pic seems to show them about half way between the bolts. do they have a place to go, or just where they fit?

I used clips on either side of the pinch bolt, then one equidistant between each pinch bolt.

Typo, that should have read "wouldn’t be under the bead. . . "

Thanks for catching that .

I put mine about half way between the bolts.

I think that it is easy to make a mountain out of a molehill.
Years ago I had cause to repaint one wing (fender?) on a car I have had since new.
I unbent all the tangs on the brass clips and removed the chrome strip with no problem.
The wing and bonnet have a permanent gap created by spacer washers, and there was no sealer in the gap, but neither was there any rust.
When I replaced the chrome strip I loose fitted it proud of the body and then injected a black, non hardening, sealer into the gap before pressing the chrome strip into place.
The clip tangs were then bent over on the underside and any excess sealer wiped off the topside.
The wing to bonnet bolts were never disturbed i.e. did not have to be tightened to ‘pinch’ the clips and, yes, they all have oval washers.
The clips generally were fitted between the bolts, none were fitted next to a bolt.
I did this by myself, it was easy and I didn’t require a pair of extra hands, and … the result was, and still is, perfect.

Since I wrote this I have realised that most of you are working on vehicles that have been molested and maybe are on their fifth, or more, owners!
So please take my remarks as relating to a guide to authenticity.
Cheers

1 Like

I have been replacing the incorrect round washers with oblong and I find a few places where it doesn’t seem as though an oblong makes sense. This could be because it never had one there or because the bonnet had been hammered in and out a few times. pics:

No room for an oblong there.

One side of the seam has a step in it here was this supposed to have an oblong right up next to the headlight panel? that flange is stepped, other side doesn’t look as bad.

right down at the bottom there doesn’t seem to be room for an oblong washer here. could that flange at the bottom of the fender be a repaired spot?

Do others have oblong washers in these spots?

TIA

Looks exactly like mine.

Bill, do you plan to paint the underside of the bonnet? If so how and when?

I Plan to fit the bonnet onto the car so I can roll the whole shooting match to a body shop to paint it.

Thinking I might have them paint the underside center sections, as they should be, and maybe skip the wheel wells as they might need rubberised undercoat.

I don’t know if they can paint over that stuff on there which I believe is bed liner.

Another way to prep bonnet for chrome bead insertion…

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I will see your handsaw and raise you a chainsaw​:smiley::smiley:

THAT…that is a keeper photo!!!