Another custom E-type in the works

There have been a number of posts over the last few months about the LS-powered S3 that Chip Foose is building. While I appreciate the work going into that car, the style does nothing for me, as it all seems a bit sorta predictable, I guess.

Another “hot rod” E-type in the works that looks like it could be pretty interesting is one that Rob Ida is working on for a female friend/collaborator. Rob Ida builds some drop-dead hot rods in a much more “traditional” style than Foose.

It looks like this one started life as a very rusty S2 2+2, and will be retaining wire wheels and XK power…should be interesting to see where this one goes.

1 Like

Sleek!

I don’t like the side pipes in the bonnet fender, distracting with the grille on the bonnet hood.

I agree, I hope those open side pipes get taken out of the concept, but I guess they are in keeping with hot rods of the period.

To me, they make it a car that will probably spend more time on display than being driven.

I think imma gunna like this one! The tri-cornered spinners?

LOVE’EM!!!

1 Like

Also agree, the car looks interesting but the pipes just don’t go with the smooth lines.
pauls

Slammed to the ground like that it probably won;t be driven at all. Hate the slam.

In picture 5 it certainly does echo the slope of the roofline in the Tucker in the upper left.

I think it might be a little early to assume that’s going to be the final ride height.

Having said that, I know a few people who put significant mileage on some pretty slammed cars. And, ride height is easily adjustable if it inhibits regular driving…zoomies through the side of the hood, not so much.

Why did they chop it in half ? Are they shortening it ? I think it is very hard to improve on the original but think a modified 2+2 could look good with a lowered roof line. Cluttering up the smooth front to rear flow is where many of these E-type mods or ideas for a modern example go wrong so I do not like the pipes either or the location of the wheels in the last photo.

David
68 E-type FHC

If he keeps it bare metal, a bit reminiscent of a spitfire.

1 Like

Yes, they shortened it by about 9”, which is the same amount Jaguar extended the 2+2, iirc.

So, it’s been made into a SWB car.

But it looks like they took most, if not all, of the 9" out of the section behind the doors, shortening the rear sidelights considerably. Looking at the pictures I think it’s just further proof that it’s extremely difficult to improve upon the original.

I wonder what kind of nastiness they are going to commit in the headlight area? :smiley:

I’m seeing it very differently. I think they took most (if not all) of the length out of the door aperture. I see no evidence the rear quarter panel has been shortened.

The way they sectioned the roof off right the way through changes the whole relationship between roof and quarter panel. The flattened roofline changes the size of the rear sidelights. This type of visual trickery is very common in roof chops. Every movement has a knock-on effect, and it all has to come together as something that’s visually appealing.

A guy at work did his own roof chop on a ‘50 Ford, and despite having about 10,000 ‘go-by’ examples to study, he got it JUST a bit wrong, and it looked terrible. He took it to a Pro, who moved a few lines around an inch or two, and it looks like a different car.

I’m not a fan of some of the the butchered Ferrari / C1 / LS treatment Foose has given the S3, but my word it is beautifully made.
This one however, is much more appealing to me. EXCEPT for the exhaust pipes through the bonnet.
Will be interesting to follow, if possible.

Compare this unmolested 2+2 to the one being modified.

vfde

Crappy
Quite a difference between the distance from the aft end of the door and the wheel arch.

1 Like

My guess on the exhaust is that it was done that way in anticipation of slamming it. Other than a Vette style side pipe it’s the only obvious way to accomplish it. The way they did it looks a little raw and I suspect it will be unbearably loud. If they’d kept a more stock height and exhaust I’d have found it more appealing personally.

I wonder, with adequate custom reinforcement, could the exhaust be routed through the sill or sills? It would add several inches of ground clearance while maintaining a humane sound level and could be very nicely shaved.

1 Like

They’re taking a bit of the added 2+2 length out of the door and a bit out of the A and B pillars - obvious from the masking tape mockup.

https://discourse-cdn.jag-lovers.com/original/3X/4/5/45c1fcc1868108c8df148d38c06e29bb60aa98f1.jpeg

I like it, except for the exhaust treatment, or whatever that is …

You’re looking at a rough and temporary door skin that is laying OVER the quarter panel. You should be comparing that red car to this pic, where you can see the back edge of the door to the wheel arch is the same.

Look at the cut-line in the sill to the front of the wheel arch…that doesn’t change between any of the pics. They’ve shortened the sills down 9”, and then moved the B-post back.

Yes, I’ve seen that done.

The ‘hot rod’ that Jason Len has featured on Jay Leno’s garage had a concave scallop that runs the length of the sill, and then has (exposed) mufflers recessed into that scallop.

I’ve also seen an E-type where the exhausts were hidden in sills, and jus emerged through small holes forward of the rear wheels.

Look at the tape where they propose to make their cuts for the revised door opening.